Anybody Else Having Problems With Quantization?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Perpetual Rift

Anybody Else Having Problems With Quantization?

Post by Perpetual Rift » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 am

I have noticed that sometimes, not all the time, I will go to Edit, Record Quantization, and then pick a value. Then, after I record, the part recorded will not be quantized. At all. At ANY value.

Then I tried to quantize a MIDI part and I hit Ctrl+Shift+U, quantized to 16th notes, and SOME notes quantized... But some notes did NOT. I drew a box with the mouse around said notes to make sure they were selected and hit Ctrl+U and they REFUSED to quantize. They were not quantized to ANY value. They were just slightly off from the line and I had to manually click and drag the notes to where I wanted them.

What. The. FUCK.

Will somebody please tell me why Live 9 is actually WORSE than Live 8? Will somebody please tell me why I didn't buy Cubase instead?

Ableton CLEARLY pulled a Microsoft and released this program before it was ready. What's worse is it's one of the most expensive DAWs on the market.

AND IT WON'T EVEN QUANTIZE A CLIP.

Anybody else have this problem?

darkenedsoul

Re: Anybody Else Having Problems With Quantization?

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I worked on a 1 bar snare progression via my LPD8 for entering the notes while recording it. I had grid set to triplets I think and 1/16 and I went and did ctrl-a to select all in piano roll, right click and quantize to 1/16 and it seemed to work ok. I haven't done a lot in it yet as I've been dragging my feet getting motivated, but will keep my eye on it as I'll be working a bit more in MIDI I think for this project.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Perpetual Rift

Post by Perpetual Rift » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks, man.

Sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't. It makes no sense to me.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Nope, works as expected here.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:54 am

Damnit, I just came here looking for help on this same problem.

Edit > Record Quantization is set to "Sixteenth Note Quantization"

When I create a new MIDI clip in Arrangement, the Marker Snap value sometimes defaults to 1/32, sometimes 1/16 (don't know why).

When I record the MIDI clip and inspect the notes they are clearly not quantized- they're all over the place (depending on how sloppy my playing was).

I don't think I've seen Record Quantization work a single time in Live 9 yet.

I'll echo the OP: What. The. FUCK.

EDIT: Whoah, check this out. It seems to have something to do with MIDI loop recording. I have "MIDI Arrangement Overdub" turned off, so Live creates multiple sub-clips in the MIDI clip whenever it loops while recording. The most recent subclip is getting quantized, but earlier clips are not. Check it out:

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like this?

EDIT 2: Hmm. Maybe it IS supposed to work like this? It appears that the first clip is what you really played, and the second is the same material with quantize applied. After some experimenting it looks like I'm always ending up with at least 2 subclips if I let the loop complete at least once. This seems different from Live 8, but I'll have to go back and check.