warp mode is simpler/sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ambientidm

warp mode is simpler/sampler

Post by ambientidm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 pm

why has this not been implemented yet?

the possibility to sync up rhythmic parts and play them in time would be a massive upgrade
no other software does this

schlocktober

Re: warp mode is simpler/sampler

Post by schlocktober » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:07 am

I run into a problem with this using "slice to midi." The slices in the resulting drum rack are set to the existing tempo. If I change the tempo of the project, the slices are no longer in sync. Sometimes this is desirable, since it pushes your feel off the grid. But it also means I need to commit to a tempo when I use slice to midi, which I prefer not to do.

Would be great to have the option for clips in simplers/samplers to warp like the clips in session/arrangement views.

boabmatic

Post by boabmatic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Once u have got ur slice to midi clip like you want .. Freeze the track then if you change the tempo the loop will still be in sync.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm

boabmatic wrote:Once u have got ur slice to midi clip like you want .. Freeze the track then if you change the tempo the loop will still be in sync.
that is a good idea but freezing it first and then slicing would better suit what i'm thinking of
that way any rhythmic content in the slices would follow the host tempo it was frozen to

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:32 pm

freeze, flatten and slice works fine within a single project, but it means that the instrument is tied to the project bpm. Its silly that sampler wont warp audio. It should timestretch all samples to match the warp behaviour, so loops will always play in time.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm

ambientidm wrote:why has this not been implemented yet?

the possibility to sync up rhythmic parts and play them in time would be a massive upgrade
no other software does this
Yeah, the only software I know that syncs loops to global tempo even after it's nondestructively sliced is Renoise. Renoise only does realtime pitchshifting when you sync loops this way though but at least you can work with it by adding another pitching plugin to simulate the timestretch warping in Live.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 pm

i don't get it
tempo syncing loops is lives bread and butter and here we are at ver9 and there is no improvement with their sampler instruments

boabmatic

Post by boabmatic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

ambientidm wrote:
boabmatic wrote:Once u have got ur slice to midi clip like you want .. Freeze the track then if you change the tempo the loop will still be in sync.
that is a good idea but freezing it first and then slicing would better suit what i'm thinking of
that way any rhythmic content in the slices would follow the host tempo it was frozen to
I normally warp the sample -> freeze -> duplicate clip to new track -> Slice to midi -> create chopped up loop -> then if I'm going to change tempo on the project I freeze again to keep clip in time.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 pm

boabmatic wrote:I normally warp the sample -> freeze -> duplicate clip to new track -> Slice to midi -> create chopped up loop -> then if I'm going to change tempo on the project I freeze again to keep clip in time.
again, this is fine for 'production', but means that the instrument loses a great deal of flexibility with regards to live performance, especially when playing with a drummer. It's a glaring omission.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I been running through the hallways, screaming at the top of my lungs about this for years... And at one point (years ago) they even responded and said it's on the 'to do' list.... Then they never responded to it again.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm

this really would be a ground breaking way to play and remix clips in a live setting not to mention the tremendous sound design applications
all i want is for sampler and simpler to be able to play clips with all the normal warp and stretch functions
the only real way to do this now is to use a grid controller to play clips

and yes it really is a glaring omission

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm

So Reason 7 now has built-in audio warping and slicing. I wonder if they finally cracked slices timestretching to tempo...

su

Post by su » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm not totally getting it. When it comes to "sync up rhythmic parts and play them in time" it seems like warped audio in clips in session view would work well for that kind of thing. What's the advantage of having warping inside a sampler?

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm

su wrote:I'm not totally getting it. When it comes to "sync up rhythmic parts and play them in time" it seems like warped audio in clips in session view would work well for that kind of thing. What's the advantage of having warping inside a sampler?
I think people are referring specifically to being able to autoslice (slice to MIDI uses simpler or sampler in drum racks) and having the slices continue to warp with tempo changes.

martin68

Post by martin68 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 pm

su wrote:I'm not totally getting it. When it comes to "sync up rhythmic parts and play them in time" it seems like warped audio in clips in session view would work well for that kind of thing. What's the advantage of having warping inside a sampler?
Sampler and Simpler is a synthesizer with envelopes, filter and lfos, etc... In warped audio-clips you never have the possibilities as in a sampler.