ill Gates

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

ill Gates

Post by re:dream » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:38 pm

I have for some time been wanting to improve the nature of my workflow and set in place better alternatives to my presently rather hit and miss approach to sonic palettes etc.

I keep coming across this ill gates guy and I enjoyed his Guide to Producing. I have for some time been wondering about his online tutorial

http://illgates.com/theillmethodology/s2store/workshop/

There seems to be a fair bit of hype but he might have good advice. Has anyone else looked at this workshop? Is it worth the money?

Tarekith

Re: ill Gates

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 pm

His ill methodology is definitely worth watching IMO, inspiring if nothing else.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Its so great

def worth it!

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:49 pm

This should give you a pretty good idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQ8c19unnM

The guy is a genius.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I had the cash to spare so I paid 50 dollars for a year subscription to his site/workshop. So far, there is only one "Workshop" with more to come in the future (Maybe?). If you have been producing for any decent amount of time and have watched the free videos about this on Youtube, the subscription is a waste of money...there simply isn't enough information or new material in there. My advice? Watch the preliminary Youtube videos on his workflow and 128's...take what you can from that, and spend your 50 dollars elsewhere.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:41 pm

As said already! His free videos are definitely worth watching. Very inspiring and some great ideas about creativity and techniques. I don't think I'd actually pay $$$ for the information but the free stuff is a great watch.
I wanted to use his APC40 template a bout a year ago but didn't wanna buy it (a bit pricey.) I made my own that was inspired by his and worked lovely for awhile. I
ve since moved ion to using Traktor to play live and an S2, f1 and x1.

Anyway, the guy has definitely put some thought into his approach. In fact, if he ever came to Pittsburgh w/ the ill methodology I might check it out (depending on price.) But I have my own work-flow and creative techniques that work quite well for me.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm

marcoskohler wrote:I had the cash to spare so I paid 50 dollars for a year subscription to his site/workshop. So far, there is only one "Workshop" with more to come in the future (Maybe?). If you have been producing for any decent amount of time and have watched the free videos about this on Youtube, the subscription is a waste of money...there simply isn't enough information or new material in there. My advice? Watch the preliminary Youtube videos on his workflow and 128's...take what you can from that, and spend your 50 dollars elsewhere.

granted there are some things that no one mentions when teaching producing in Live.. He even goes into the philosophy of arrangement and the Gestalt principles... which is cool.. I have learned alot from him and am glad I have been able to watch the workshop vids ..

If i was a new producer I would suggest watching these videos with fervor and paying the 50$..it's worth it , especially with new material coming down the pipe.

I edited this with remorse since Ill actually came on board and made some clarifications... Appreciate that.. therefore I apologize for my previous comments thus I have edited it.
Last edited by tintala on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey there, ill.Gates here

Glad you are enjoying my work.

Please allow me to explain about the new subscriber content:

For the last three years I have been working towards a new site with content from not only myself, but many other producers and djs. I was planning on launching it last year but was unfortunately being managed by the wrong company. They kept me on the road 4/4 weekends per month and did not actually develop anything more than a temporary version of my video site, all the while taking a large portion of my template income and promising me the sky. Very frustrating.

I have since escaped that contract and found the perfect partner for the new site. Marc Wei from the Ableton Colorado usergroup. We have registered and built www.producer.dj and are just waiting for the graphics and branding to come back from our new designer http://www.niark1.com

Once that is done we will launch, transferring all subscriptions to the new site. Maybe 1-2 months tops.

In addition to a new 4 hour workshop which is ready and waiting we will have additional content from myself, Mr Bill, Moldover, Mad Zach, Samples, R/D, Dj Vespers, Will Marshall and Tom Cosm.

I am very excited about the new site and will update you all shortly.

Thanks for your patience

Dylan aka ill.Gates
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:Hey there, ill.Gates here

Glad you are enjoying my work.

Please allow me to explain about the new subscriber content:

For the last three years I have been working towards a new site with content from not only myself, but many other producers and djs. I was planning on launching it last year but was unfortunately being managed by the wrong company. They kept me on the road 4/4 weekends per month and did not actually develop anything more than a temporary version of my video site, all the while taking a large portion of my template income and promising me the sky. Very frustrating.

I have since escaped that contract and found the perfect partner for the new site. Marc Wei from the Ableton Colorado usergroup. We have registered and built http://www.producer.dj and are just waiting for the graphics and branding to come back from our new designer http://www.niark1.com

Once that is done we will launch, transferring all subscriptions to the new site. Maybe 1-2 months tops.

In addition to a new 4 hour workshop which is ready and waiting we will have additional content from myself, Mr Bill, Moldover, Mad Zach, Samples, R/D, Dj Vespers, Will Marshall and Tom Cosm.

I am very excited about the new site and will update you all shortly.

Thanks for your patience

Dylan aka ill.Gates

This should be epic. And a subscription based site with constant new (price justifying) content really is a lot of work for just one producer to do while also producing and touring. It’s good to hear the big names are pulling together and sharing the load.

tintala

Post by tintala » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

thank you for the clarification, much appreciated, can't freakn wait for the new material.. I have learned alot from the workshop, just wish there was a way to get clarification on some questions pertaining to the videos.. otherwise no complaints and am glad you can do this, so big UUUPS! thanks for coming on the board and letting us know! :)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

That's a helluva lineup. Looking forward to it.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 am

I really do feel awful for making everyone wait.

So so hard to find management who are actually in my corner. most of them just want to run me so ragged on tour that i don't even get to write music, let alone work on my educational side.

Short term fools...

Their loss I suppose...

The reins are back in my own hands now though, it's taking more of my time and energy to manage this, but it's ultimately worth it.

Thanks again for your interest and patience.

:D

d
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am

very glad to hear it amigo!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 am

Just to say I did pay the 50 bucks - just before marcoskohler's post above came in saying it wasn't worth it!

8O

Had a moment of buyer's regret byt spent Sunday night watching the first 4 videos and I must say they are well worth it.

Some of the underlying stuff - the philosophy and approach to creativity is stuff that I have been working out slowly myself over 6 years of messing around but it was worth getting the confirmation. I particularly like the way the videos emphasise the way in which the creative process at its best - the moment that the song 'reveals its face' etc etc - is a process of channeling and 'getting out of the way' of the material itself).

But what is particularly useful is the way the videos link those underlying creative principles to very concrete and technical processes and ways of working. It would have taken me another 6 years to figure out those myself. I am really looking forward to implementing many of those ideas in the next few weeks.

I am very pleased to hear that more material is on its way and I look forward to hearing more.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

we hosted Dylan for his ill methodology tour here in adelaide and his has easily been the best workshop we've hosted. his philosophies and techniques on helping your creativity were worth the money alone.
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds