Your In-Flight Methods/Setups

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

Re: Your In-Flight Methods/Setups

Post by BoddAH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:22 am

[art] wrote:The TE Op-1 is a great plane accompaniment. Although if its Live u want then for me its an 11" MacBook Air all the way. That thing fits perfect on the table trays. Having said that I really need some noise canceling headphones for the task... Can anyone recommend any?
I wouldn't recommend active "noise canceling" headphones. I always found the technology lacking even for listening to music let alone making music...

I would get "noise isolating" headphones instead. Any decent closed headphones should do the trick, the most used ones are for instance the Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii.

If you want perfect sound isolation and great sound quality in a very compact format, get some IEMs like Shure SE215.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

Sibanger wrote:
patrick.olson86 wrote:Alright, laptop + keyboard it is! And, of course, I'm stuck in the middle row, in the middle seat, what a treat!
You are an international rock star. Fuck the person sitting next to you. Set up your studio in the plane and go nuts. While you're at it, drink too much, abuse the attendants & tell em the food tastes like dog shit.... :twisted:
Yeah, the worst that could happen is that they throw you out...

Wait.

aldentinnin

Post by aldentinnin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

BoddAH wrote:
[art] wrote:The TE Op-1 is a great plane accompaniment. Although if its Live u want then for me its an 11" MacBook Air all the way. That thing fits perfect on the table trays. Having said that I really need some noise canceling headphones for the task... Can anyone recommend any?
I wouldn't recommend active "noise canceling" headphones. I always found the technology lacking even for listening to music let alone making music...

I would get "noise isolating" headphones instead. Any decent closed headphones should do the trick, the most used ones are for instance the Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii.

If you want perfect sound isolation and great sound quality in a very compact format, get some IEMs like Shure SE215.
Yea, I've gone through 2 pairs of Shure IEMs over the last 6 years (roughly) - the last pair crapped out after a year and a half. For sound isolation they are great. I actually bought a pair of JH Audio custom fitted IEMs a little over a year ago and really like them so far - even better noise reduction than the Shures and of course the fit is great - they certainly did come at a price though! Plugging these into my laptop and midi programming with the trackpad is the way to go on an airplane - doesn't seem to bother anyone around me (except when I get something I like going and start bobbing my head and exclaiming "OH YEAH!" to the person next to me)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 pm

I have a special kit for flights. I usually take an aisle seat so I can have enough room, and buy my neighbor a beer just to keep them happy when I bump them! Keep your neighbors boozed up and they won't bother you.

My main performance controller for flights is an Alesis Vortex. The Vortex tends to take up a lot of the aisle (I play with my elbow out a little more), but it's easy enough to lift it up when the flight attendants walk by. Plus, the Vortex has an accelerometer, so when I have to lift it it encourages a bit of spontaneity during songwriting.

Since I have a 20" Sony Vaio, I also bring out one of those Odyssey laptop stands. That allows the APC 40 to fit underneath, and lifts the computer up enough that it sits above whatever my neighbor has on their tray table.

I also have some battery-powered speakers I bring out if I'm seated in business class: http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/por ... black.html
I engineered some handy clips out of old over-the-door clothes racks. They hang perfectly on the seat in front of me. Usually the person in front doesn't mind, since I also duct tape some foam to them like a little pillow. The speakers sound OK, but airplanes are noisy. On certain kinds of planes I have to turn them up pretty loud.

For an audio interface, I just bring a MOTU Traveler. Pretty portable little unit, and fits right in my lap. If I plan to record vocals, I also have a cheap AKG Perception 420. I use one of those round pop filter things. The mic stand base goes on the floor, and the stand pole part fits perfectly between the tray table and the seat in front of me.

So yeah, working on music during flights can be VERY productive. I'd just encourage you to keep it to flights over 90 minutes since sometimes it takes a few minutes to get all the gear set up! I'd also recommend a rolling case for everything. Make sure it's wide enough to fit the Keytar, and make sure to be the first in line to board since you will need the room in the overhead bin for the case after you unpack everything.

comurit

Post by comurit » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Buy a first class ticket and you can do whatever you like!!!

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Wow... this post just got out of control. I like it. How about I bring my studio monitors and have the people on each side hold them for me while I educate them on the proper listening angle for mixing? If they screw up I make them buy me a beer? I am an international rock-star afterall right? Wait, can you call yourself a rockstar when you're making beeps and boops on your laptop?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 pm

patrick.olson86 wrote:Wow... this post just got out of control. I like it. How about I bring my studio monitors and have the people on each side hold them for me while I educate them on the proper listening angle for mixing? If they screw up I make them buy me a beer? I am an international rock-star afterall right? Wait, can you call yourself a rockstar when you're making beeps and boops on your laptop?
In all seriousness a simple Notebook + IEM setup is probably the best thing to do.

It's impossible that people will hear you and it's also impossible that you'll hear what's happening around you.

Worst case scenario people will be thinking you're crazy staring at a bunch of cryptic colored bars, squared and numbers for hours.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

I got some very odd questions from a confused person sitting next to me while I was using Synplant once, that was pretty funny.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm

the_planet wrote:I have a special kit for flights.
you are special.

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I have written many tunes on the plane with phones and laptop using the keyboard for midi input. Love it!