Worth upgrading to Live 9 Suite from Live 9 standard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MachineClaw

Worth upgrading to Live 9 Suite from Live 9 standard?

Post by MachineClaw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 am

I can upgrade from Live 9 standard to Live 9 Suite for $299 USD.

I looked at the comparison charts and I know Suite comes with Max for Live and sampler etc etc. Seems like a bunch of loops and samples too.

but is it worth upgrading just to have everything or is Standard just fine and invest the $299 in tutorials, books or VSTs?

I'm just now starting to learn Live 8 Standard and haven't even installed Live 9 Standard yet.

I'm not sure if sampler, operator and max for live is worth it. I have a TON of VSTs and Sonar Producer, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate etc.

any real world advice on Ableton upgrading?

antarktika

Re: Worth upgrading to Live 9 Suite from Live 9 standard?

Post by antarktika » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

You have Komplete 9 Ultimate, with FM8, Kontakt, and Reaktor... and your question was what again? if you need operator, sampler, and m4l?

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

It's just WAY too expensive in my mind

I'd love to have the option to finish L9's and Push functionality with M4L BUT i really wished Ableton would just release Live with the ability to do a lot that requires M4L.

APC40 is able to have buttons mapped as well as the standard functions at the time.

Push can't??? seems like it wouldn't be that different from APC40 but now you have to have M4L.

I just want the touch strip to custom map really......

I can't even justify $200 just for M4L (and then there's the learning curve) to have such a simple function available.

MachineClaw

Post by MachineClaw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:14 pm

antarktika wrote:You have Komplete 9 Ultimate, with FM8, Kontakt, and Reaktor... and your question was what again? if you need operator, sampler, and m4l?
Is Live 9 Suite worth the upgrade if you have Standard 9?

I have read that Live 8 Suite many people did not use the loops or samples included, that it wasn't worth it and they recommended if ya had Live 8 standard to just learn that.

Now that Live 9 Suite inclused Max for Live is that really worth the upgrade? So people find that they actually use sampler, operator, Max now that they have Live 9 Suite.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Also take into account what M4L alone would cost you + any of the instruments if purchased separately (Sampler, Operator, Tension, Collision, Analog, etc...). Individually it would cost you a boatload more vs buying Suite 9. BUT as you stated you have Komplete 9 Ultimate which packs a ton of stuff in of itself....if you got spare cash to toss around, that's up to you. You have enough VSTi's I think with K9 depending on what you are doing for music I think.

As long as your system can handle things, it's all up to you. I went Suite back in Live 6 timeframe (or was it L7?) after purchasing Operator and I think Sampler? I know I bought Operator for sure way back when.... and I've upgraded Suite->Suite since. I also have Komplete 2/4/5/7/8 upgrades (K2 was a full package purchase) and I also picked up Heavocity's packages + a few Live partner instruments. I think I have enough now with Live 9's OIC content, ProjectSAM too....but need to sit my ass down and start working on stuff....

Again, if you got the spare cash, do what you want, otherwise work on music with what you have. Do you really need M4L specifically for anything? That's another question to ask yourself, what can't you do with Live 9 Standard + K9 Ultimate? Got a kayboard/push/apc/launchpad already? I think you got plenty to keep you busy for some time!

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm

If you didnt have such an intensive collection of 3d party stuff, then yes, very much worth it.

In your case, maybe not as much, allthough its still a really good value.

I love operator and M4l (just using included devices)
Some of the sound packs are really good but you allready have alot with komplete

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:05 pm

I don't know what anyone said but,

You can always do it later.

As you mentioned, you've only just started using it. Get the basics down and then ask yourself in a couple months.

A bonus advantage you'll have is, in many cases it is too easy for users of suite to reach for native synths first. You'll have the natural habit of thinking beyond that, even relying on third party vsts. And the strength in that is you'll be prone to grabbing really good tools which are well thought out by the developers (not to say tat Live devices aren't!)

But yeah, the option to upgrade isn't just going to randomly disappear. You can sit tight and wait for a promotional deal :D

MachineClaw

Post by MachineClaw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 pm

good advice.

I think I will wait for a promotion deal.

just study the basics of live 9 standard and go from there.

I think in my case it would be better of me to spend the money on Groove3 subscription and/or MacProVideo tutorials to learn all the ins and outs of this stuff.

oh yeah and as someone mentioned - make some music.

thanks for the comments.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 am

If I were in your position, knowing what I do now, I would upgrade with Maschine Mk2, or at least Maching Mikro. I don't regret upgrading from live 8 to Live 9 Suite, but I find Maschine to be much more useful.

Of course, I love Live 9 - its audio engine is the best in the world for time stretch, and handling Midi and Audio files. But Maschine comes with Massive, and all your present NI programs will be accessible through Mashine.

MachineClaw

Post by MachineClaw » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:18 am

I have a Akai MPK88 controller - it has 16 pads, sliders, knobs, play/rec/stop keys. great controller.

I like the Maschine software, wish it were sold as an application without the controller. I think a Maschine Micro would be sort of overkill at this point. But I really do like the software from the video's I have seen.