Stuck on deciding a midi controller,

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Insayn

Stuck on deciding a midi controller,

Post by Insayn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello, I have been looking over the internet for a <150$ midi keyboard controller. After my extensive research, I have narrowed my decision down to these two:

Arturia Analog Expierence: The Factory/Player (Either one)
OR
M-Audio Axiom 25.

I make basic electronic music, so 25 keys would be enough for me. Which one do you all think is better? Is there another <150$ midi keyboard controller that you highly reccomend?
Thanks!

~Insayn

www.soundcloud.com/insayn

EnjoyRC

Re: Stuck on deciding a midi controller,

Post by EnjoyRC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Insayn wrote:Hello, I have been looking over the internet for a <150$ midi keyboard controller. After my extensive research, I have narrowed my decision down to these two:

Arturia Analog Expierence: The Factory/Player (Either one)
OR
M-Audio Axiom 25
Food for thought.... Normally I don't care for M-Audio keybeds... but the Keybed on the Axioms is quite nice. I use a M-Audio Axiom Pro 49.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm

I have the original Axiom 25 and the keys are definitely AMAZING!! Aftertouch, weighted, velocity, etc. They truly do feel amazing. That said I've been playing most of my sequences on the Launchpad and Maschine, and then I edit them in Live later.

Also, I am selling the M-Audio Axiom 25. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 pm

I got an old-style Axiom 49 for $150 once and it has worked very well. 49 keys has turned out to be pretty useful, and having sliders and pads is great, but I find the clicky knobs (same as on the 25) to be basically useless for me. I hear the Axiom Pro's knobs are much better, and correspondingly more expensive.

The keys are plenty good for that pricerange. They aren't weighted proper (they're springs IIRC, but have enough resistance to be nice for synth lines) but the velocity response is good and I believe you can adjust the curve.

Insayn

Post by Insayn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank you all for the feedback, From what you guys have said, the Axiom seems like the better buy.
Im gonna go with that.

Again, Thank you all for the feedback. :D