best way to sync 2 computers for collaborating?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djcyph

best way to sync 2 computers for collaborating?

Post by djcyph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 am

one computer is Ableton (most likely slave) and my buddies is running Nuendo.... from my googling, it doesn't seem like rewire is possible....

i see this midi sync method here: https://www.ableton.com/answers/how-can ... m-together

it then says to do outs of slave audio card to ins for master, which i understand but then I wont be able to route slave (ableton) individual channels to individual ones in Nuendo.

any other methods?

Thanks!

EnjoyRC

Re: best way to sync 2 computers for collaborating?

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Use Ableton Sync that was introduced in Ableton Live 8!!!!!!!!!! 8)
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:01 pm

i know i said i see the midi sync method but that only locks in same tempo/time.....how do i do it so its like rewire so i can route my ableton channels through Nuendo?

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

To my knowledge you can't do it, plain and simple. I could be quite wrong as well. You have two totally different DAW applications for one, and you didn't mention if this is in the same residence for connectivity reasons. The only thing I can think of is working your track(s), exporting the stems and placing in a dropbox-like shared folder between you and this person (if not in same residence), they work on it, do same, you pull back into Ableton and continue. There was nother thread about something like this but Live-to-Live set sharing/collaboration type of thing.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 pm

yea we plan doing it at the same place, i use gobbler to send projects when not...i now know how to set up both DAWs to sync midi time over wifi. like i said was just wondering if there was a Rewire solution over lan, which looks like there is not

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:28 pm

i believe i found my solution! something called Wormhole2....check it out here, will test monday and report back

https://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/wiki/MainPage

Manual:

http://plasq.com/pics/wormhole/Wormhole2manual.pdf

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:43 pm

EnjoyRC wrote:Use Ableton Sync that was introduced in Ableton Live 8!!!!!!!!!! 8)
My bad... I meant to say Ableton Share was introduced in Ableton Live 8

and it was meant to be a joke. :lol:
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

73*

Post by 73* » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Perhaps there is an aspect of what you are trying to accomplish that I'm missing, but what is stopping you from routing audio bi-directionally via each computer's audio interface?

If you use analog I/O the only thing you'll need to worry about syncing is tempo (via MIDI Clock). Both Nuendo and Live can have external FX inserts, so use of those if you want the other DAW available as an FX insert, but the both of you need to be careful of creating feedback loops. If you use digital I/O then you'll need to establish a master/slave sync (same principle as MIDI Clock).

I would imagine that you should be able to get lower latency routing the audio directly between each DAW, than if you make use of the Wormhole utility. Of course if one of you is lacking in I/O than Wormhole will be well worth a shot.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 pm

73* wrote:Perhaps there is an aspect of what you are trying to accomplish that I'm missing, but what is stopping you from routing audio bi-directionally via each computer's audio interface?

If you use analog I/O the only thing you'll need to worry about syncing is tempo (via MIDI Clock). Both Nuendo and Live can have external FX inserts, so use of those if you want the other DAW available as an FX insert, but the both of you need to be careful of creating feedback loops. If you use digital I/O then you'll need to establish a master/slave sync (same principle as MIDI Clock).

I would imagine that you should be able to get lower latency routing the audio directly between each DAW, than if you make use of the Wormhole utility. Of course if one of you is lacking in I/O than Wormhole will be well worth a shot.
what im trying do, is be able route individual channels in Ableton to individual buses in Nuendo. Just like re-wire but two different machines. Like I said, wormhole2 seems like it will do that.

is that what your procedure is saying? I dont quite get it...im using digital FastTrackPro as my interface.