Easy ways to control Ableton Live Parts 1-3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SuburbanThug

Re: Easy ways to control Ableton Live Parts 1-3

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 pm

This is using the hot key program you use, correct? I just tried F3 for example and it just sends my Mac the usual commands for dashboard and stuff like that.

kryptonitejesus

Post by kryptonitejesus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:This is using the hot key program you use, correct? I just tried F3 for example and it just sends my Mac the usual commands for dashboard and stuff like that.
yeah, he seems to think everyone wants to install some stupid 3rd party software to be able to change hotkeys when it should have been an addition in the software a long time ago....

maybe ableton 10 will include it at a 400$ bonus upgrade price

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:No it is not stupid. And Ableton could not do what iKey does, because it's far more than just shorcuts, it's actually creating task automation. A typical iKey command runs several actions, some of which include memorising mouse movements and clicks etc, even scrolls and drags. The closest thing is Automator, but iKey is a lot easier and gives you almost unlimited power on creating shortcuts.

IMO. This is an area where Reaper smokes a lot of other DAWS. in Reaper you pretty much have total control of your key mapping. And this is to the point where you can chain multiple commands, selections and stuff together and bind them to one key.

And the cool thing about Reaper is that you don't need any external software for custom key setups.

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am

very interesting. seems more powerfull than BTT.
is it possible in browse to load a (via up/dwn arrows selected) item directly, WITHOUT the use of return? this should only happen in browse and only if the was selcted by up/dwn, i guess maybe i need the return in other cases;)
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 am

can it catch midi-events and use them as trigger?
(guess it must at first in the midi-os-chain, to avoid conflicts with the destination-app).
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:02 pm

yup, meand better touch - i know apples and plums.
why instant loading? cuase if i search for the right drumsounds or instrument/fx-settings...., i want hear them in the context, and if possible instantly, this doubleclicking or returning really SUCKS me out. (for me - the ableton device-browser is a big regress comparing to simple midi-programchange or left/right buttons to step presets... thats one point why i only use reaktor as synth-hoster and lot of fx - i can put in workflow-speeder-tools i need in evry instrument, fx... )

i didnt get your answer: is it possible to set (e.g.) doublick or return, in only one context to a specify action, during all others keep the same?

well, there is mac-tool called midistroke - i catches midi events and translate them to keystrokes. why use this?

one hand on the remote HW the other on the mouse - i have no hand empty, u have?
it would speed up some actions if i could it do directly from eg the apc, instead of switching to the compi-keys.

maybe i could use midistroke and one of your tools, but i am afraid of unknown interfrences and instability.
and instability is the mainreason, i am realy careful using such tools.
ergonomic is a really important factor for like/dislike / buy/not buying an app. but stability is the grandpa of importance!
Peace. Freedom. Truth!