All times are UTC

Post subject: How to properly stack effects chain?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm 

Hey guys, I was just looking for some advice on how to stack my effects chain properly. For example if I'm using reverb, phasers, filters etc. should I compress, EQ, add OTT etc. to the patch before or after the FX and what difference will happen if I do each way? Also what are somethings I should basically always use at the end of an effects chain (eg post eq)?

I'm not looking for anyone to say ''its all situational, do what feels right blah blah blah'' I'm asking what are some things that you should almost always do to make a patch sound of a high standard as well as where and when effects are appropriate in an effects chain.

Thanks in advanced everyone :)

Post subject: Re: How to properly stack effects chain?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am 

Actually, there are no strict rules because it all depends on what sound you're after - the effects (unless put in racks) are processed serially, i.e. one after another, so it will be different if you put filter before delay or delay before filter. Even with EQ there's no very strict rule, because sometimes you want it at the end to 'clean up' the sound, but sometimes you'll want it at the beginning so that the unwanted frequencies aren't processed adding harmonics that you don't need. Also, it depends on type of music, because for more 'normal' styles you'd probably go something like amp/dist->eq->delay->reverb->compressor, but for electronic styles there's no guideline: actually the more out-there it sounds, the better therefore I like to split sound with racks (left/right, mid/sides, low/high, dry/delay, etc.) and process those in parallel, to get unusual results.

Sorry :)