Using an XS Motif as both controller and sound generator?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CancerRidden

Using an XS Motif as both controller and sound generator?

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi, I have a Yamaha Motif XS, which I really love the sounds on.

The thing is, I'm using it as a midi controller for Ableton right now and it really is a shame that I'm not using the sounds of the Motif, which in my humble opinion, some are better than the VSTs in ableton.

Is there a way to use both the Yamaha motif as sound generator, AND also a midi controller at the same time? I'd still like to record the midi notes into Ableton.

Do I have to buy a midi controller in order to do this?

doghouse

Re: Using an XS Motif as both controller and sound generator?

Post by doghouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Yes, you can use the XS while in Remote Mode.

First, you can toggle in and out of Remote Mode (which takes over the XS screen) at any time, unless you are currently in either Song or Pattern mode with the XS sequencer running. Since you use Live to do the MIDI sequencing you'll have no problems toggling between modes.

If you have the XS in Song or Pattern mode, it can be used as a multitimbral sound source. You can use Live's External Instrument but at some point you will have to record into an audio track. I just use individual MIDI and audio tracks since I will end up recording the audio eventually anyway.

What audio interface are you using? If you have the onboard FW for your Motif you can track up to 16 channels of audio over FW, makes it easier to put parts on individual audio tracks. If you don't, you will have to record each audio part in a separate pass.

BTW if you do have the FW interface, once you have recorded the audio you can use the XS master effects as an additional processor for Live...very cool 8)

If you have specific questions, let me know.

CancerRidden

Re: Using an XS Motif as both controller and sound generator?

Post by CancerRidden » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Ahhh. i see...

I do not have the FW expansion installed. I see what you're doing...

You have your motif connected to your computer via USB, and then you have the audio out of your XS going into the in of your audio interface and you're recording this audio in ableton.

is that correct? How is ableton sending the recorded midi BACK to the motif? via the same USB connection?

My interface is an Mbox Pro 2.

USB is the only midi connection you have going into your computer?

The USB on the Motif can send and accept midi simultaneously?