Gig Friendly USB 3.0 5GBS JBOD hub?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

Gig Friendly USB 3.0 5GBS JBOD hub?

Post by miekwave » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 am

Does anyone here know a good 4 disk JBOD hub for Laptop? I have two USB 3.0 ports. I am not interested in RAID.

I want to move my Ableton Packs to a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and EWQL Composers to a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB drive and Native Instruments Komplete ULtimate 9 to a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Drive but use it with my Laptop via USB 3.0 5GBS setup.

Basically the setup would comprise of
JBOD USB 1:
256GB SSD (Ableton Packs/Samples)
512GB SSD (EWQL)
512GB SSD (NIKU9)
256GB SSD (MISC VST/Samples)

Audio/Project Disk - powered HDD enclosure USB 2:
1TB Velociraptor (Pro Tools/Ableton Project files)

Some options I see online are enclosured like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816111194

However, most JBOD enclosures I see are built for RAID or Backup in mind, I do not see any on the market purpose built for SSD?

Anubis

Re: Gig Friendly USB 3.0 5GBS JBOD hub?

Post by Anubis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 am

You've got some very compelling music. Cheers.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 am

Most people who require that many bays are really looking for larger storage capacity that SSDs quite simply dont have. And of course with the amount of storage they require naturally they going to want to have some type of redundancy or backup like Raid.

There is really no reason why you couldnt just use a 3.5" kit for the SSD's to mount them in a device such as the one you have linked.

I think you would probably be look for awhile for something that would be specifically for SSD.

Also, Gig friendly? What are you planning on doing with this thing?

Edit: Sorry I tell a lie, there is this. http://amzn.to/UvISQO But it does cost an arm and a leg.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 am

distaudio wrote:Most people who require that many bays are really looking for larger storage capacity that SSDs quite simply dont have. And of course with the amount of storage they require naturally they going to want to have some type of redundancy or backup like Raid.

There is really no reason why you couldnt just use a 3.5" kit for the SSD's to mount them in a device such as the one you have linked.

I think you would probably be look for awhile for something that would be specifically for SSD.

Also, Gig friendly? What are you planning on doing with this thing?

Edit: Sorry I tell a lie, there is this. http://amzn.to/UvISQO But it does cost an arm and a leg.
Oh wow that looks like a nice, unit, but the user reviews are giving me second thoughts