Can I use an ZeroSLmkII alongside an APC40 with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
murgatroid

Can I use an ZeroSLmkII alongside an APC40 with Live?

Post by murgatroid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 am

I had gotten an APC40 to use with Live recently but I also use Logic. Although it can be set up to control some of Logic, its not ideally suited.

Then I got a novation ZeroSLmkII being that it is made for Logic and all my 3rd party plugs. I did notice that it also has an automap script for Live as well.

I haven't done a setup for this device for Live yet because I wanted to know if I setup Automap to recognize Live, would that in any way conflict with the APC40 connected to Live as well? Or does it matter.... if Live is recognizing, say a channel volume, from some slider on the APC as well as some slider on the SL, does that conflict in some way? Or does that just mean that I would simply be able to use either device to control that particular volume fader?

Thanks

yur2die4

Re: Can I use an ZeroSLmkII alongside an APC40 with Live?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:27 am

Do you midi map anything on the APC40? Or strictly use the Control Surface setup?

Anything that is controlling Live strictly via the Control Surface setup is pretty much communicating directly via that specific script. Since you have to choose which hardware in/out it uses, it is a direct communication with that device as they do not interfere with each other.

If you use midi mapping, any device that has Remote turned on, could be overridden and cause conflicts.

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I pretty much just plugged the APC in and it does what it was designed for, integrate with Live. At this point I haven't messed around with altering anything until I'm pretty familiar.

When I plug it in Live, Live's prefs automatically has the APC listed in the top control surface, input and output pull down menus. It automatically set the APC's midi ports, both inputs and outputs, to 'on' for both track and remote.

I assume this is what you mean by 'control surface setup'. I assume what you mean by 'midi mapping', is if I manually choose a Live parameter and learn it to some arbitrary encoder on my hardware. In that respect I guess that parameter might wind up getting two different midi cc's assigned to it, one from the APC and one from the Novation. Correct?

I think I figure how I'm going to work it for now is when using Live, the novation will do the plugins and the APC will do what its been programmed to do in Live.

I'm new to using controllers so its all a bit too much for my brain right now

botstein

Post by botstein » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 am

It all works together. I've got an SLmkii and an APC40.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."