Complex & Re-Pitch on Live 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Danny Hard

Complex & Re-Pitch on Live 9

Post by Danny Hard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:41 am

I already use Live 8 to edit my tracks and always use Complex & Re-pitch to warp them. I use Complex when changing bpms of 1 or 2 but Re-pitch when the change is bigger than that, because, as a lot of you guys may know, Complex distorts a lot when the bpm change is big.
My question is about these ones on Live 9.
Is Complex Warping better to use with big bpm changes on Live 9 than on Live 8? Or is there no big difference??

I just use ableton 8 to edit my tracks and make mixes so there is no point for me to buy 9 if there is no big changes on warping quality.
I would definately buy 9 if I realise it has improoved warping.

Thanks in advance.

yur2die4

Re: Complex & Re-Pitch on Live 9

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:21 am

Why not always use RePitch?

The moment you switch to Complex Pro, it messes with the waveform pretty tremendously. Complex are the only ones that when you are playing the clips back at their original tempo, they still get severely 'blurred'. If anything I'd do the opposite of what you are doing.

But since you are not, it'd probably be best to use RePitch all the way. Unless you have some reason why you prefer not to (slight change in pitch when changing bpm?).

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 am

I use beats mode. It preserves the original pitch and punch of source material, and sounds icy when dropping 12-24 semis.

Danny Hard

Post by Danny Hard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Ok, I am preety aware of what Complex & Re-pitch do. I'm just asking if Complex is better in Live 9 then in Live 8.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Repitch simply changes the speed and pitch, which remain linked throughout. It is comparable to slowing down/speeding up tape. Complex mode unlinks speed and pitch and allows for imperfect manipulations of each.

I hope this answers your question.

:x

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Danny Hard wrote:Ok, I am preety aware of what Complex & Re-pitch do. I'm just asking if Complex is better in Live 9 then in Live 8.
As far as I know the warping engine is unchanged from Live 8.

Danny Hard

Post by Danny Hard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:06 am

Warrior Bob wrote:
Danny Hard wrote:Ok, I am preety aware of what Complex & Re-pitch do. I'm just asking if Complex is better in Live 9 then in Live 8.
As far as I know the warping engine is unchanged from Live 8.
Thanks Warrior Bob! Thats exacly what I wanted to know!

For the other ones: Just keep posting here how Complex & Re-Pitch work, you guys must love doing it...