Adding effects to a Mixtape session recorded with Serato

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikeczech

Adding effects to a Mixtape session recorded with Serato

Post by mikeczech » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi all-

I use the MIXTAPE feature in Serato to record mixes and save them as Ableton sessions. Then I go back and make whatever edits I need to in Ableton and master the mix.

My problem is that I want to go and add NEW effects in Ableton to the already recorded tracks, but many of them are tempo / BPM dependent (Delay, Phase, etc...) and I can't figure out how to change the "per-song" tempo / BPM without affecting the entire mix. I know it's possible to map the Hz settings on some effects but not all have that option, and honestly I don't want to pull up my calculator every time I need to make a tempo change in an effect. My mixes change tempo a lot, so it's not like I can change the global tempo and have everything be 128 BPM or such. The project I'm editing right now goes from 108 BPM up to 128, down to 70 and back up to 100 over the course of 60 minutes.

Does anyone know a good workaround to this? I will gladly buy whoever has the most elegant solution a cup of coffee... and a donut.

Thanks

regretfullySaid

Re: Adding effects to a Mixtape session recorded with Serato

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:42 am

If the tracks in Live have the correct BPM info in their clip view, and if they are laid out in arrangement mode, there should be an option for you to press an option in the clip view to "Slave" (under "Warp") which means the BPM will change to whatever BPM the clip is when it's playing, if the Slave switch is on.
ImageImage

mikeczech

Post by mikeczech » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 pm

When I make recordings using Serato / Ableton Bridge's Mixtape, they get saved as a 2 track version of my mix. The songs are individually labelled, but each track is the full mix length, not separate clips with BPM tags. I appreciate your reply but I don't think this solution applies on the type of mix I'm dealing with.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Couldn't you split the mix into parts aka separate clips so you can enter the bpm for each one?
ImageImage

mikeczech

Post by mikeczech » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I will try tonight... if it's in Slave mode it won't be affected by the global BPM correct?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

If it's in slave mode the global bpm follows the bpm set in the clip. If you split your mix into parts you can set the bpms for each clip.
When the playhead gets to the next clip that's when the bpm can change.
ImageImage

mikeczech

Post by mikeczech » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 pm

That's not what I was wanting. My mixes BPM fluctuates even in the same song sometimes as I mix upwards in BPM. I don't want the track tempo to be any different from what I recorded, I just want to be able to use tempo-based effects throughout the mix as needed. Pro Tools does this no problem, but Ableton's dependency on the global tempo really seems like it's preventing me from what I'm trying to do.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Ah that sucks. I would assume there should be a envelope in Arrangement for the BPM, but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Just another notch to add of something you think they would obviously have but don't... Sorry.
ImageImage

mikeczech

Post by mikeczech » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I appreciate your trying to help though...

Anybody else have this issue or a workaround??