which synth...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GreatExpectations

which synth...

Post by GreatExpectations » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 am

I am a preset whore - and now I've finally realized that I need to progress beyond this.

I have a number of synths but I think a positive move would be to focus on one and ignore the rest. The ones I have are Operator, massive, FM8, Albino, Reaktor (inc. Monark and Razor) and vanguard.

Which would you suggest to focus on and why?

Thanks

jlgrimes

Re: which synth...

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 am

GreatExpectations wrote:I am a preset whore - and now I've finally realized that I need to progress beyond this.

I have a number of synths but I think a positive move would be to focus on one and ignore the rest. The ones I have are Operator, massive, FM8, Albino, Reaktor (inc. Monark and Razor) and vanguard.

Which would you suggest to focus on and why?

Thanks

Massive/Monark.

Those will be easier to program. They follow the traditional subtractive nature. Massive is wavetable though but it follows the analog principle. It's routing can be tricky though so I suggest reading the manual.

FM/additive synths are more advanced although Razor is designed to make it easier.

Starting off you should pick one synth and master it.

Start with simple leads, basses, and simple pads.

Also learn layering. You can often take simple presets and combine them to make something bigger. Life's instrument racks make this easier.

Also use presets and tweak knobs. This will get you into figuring out what parameters do what. If anything you will learn how to make presets sit in your mix better without EQing.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:23 am

A synth which can use samples can produce sounds your current synths cannot.
So I'd recommend Alchemy. Very versatile and you can also buy ready made high quality sounds for it.
Try the demo...

http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 am

what about trying a very basic synth to understand synthesis from its roots, in the simplest form possible?

monophonic and good sounding
TAL Bassline
polyphonic and good sounding
TAL U-NO 62
both freeware.

one knob/fader per function, clear gui, ideal to learn "what knob makes what"

once you are an expert with these, every other synth will be easier to master.

if you are into reverse engineering of patches and want to go deep with operator, look for the christian kleine's operator patches or the covert operators one.
happy googlin!
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 am

start with analog

edit: i mean live's analog synth

mdk

Post by mdk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am

Start with Monark definitely, that will show you the basics of signal flow and what parameters do what.

After that all the others will make a lot more sense, just break them down into

1. Sound generation
2. Filter
3. Amp
4. Modulation
5. FX

Start by learning how to create an 'init' patch, no filtering, no envelopes / modulation. Just the raw sound of the oscillators (or additive partial generator for razor), then apply each layer in turn, how does each affect the sound.

You have plenty of scope with the synths you have so dont worry about this that or the other just yet :)
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with Monark and see how it goes!

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 am

tone61 wrote:A synth which can use samples can produce sounds your current synths cannot.
So I'd recommend Alchemy. Very versatile and you can also buy ready made high quality sounds for it.
Try the demo...
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php
Did you even read the initial post? I'm pretty sure getting another feature-laden synth is exactly the opposite of what they need if they are trying to learn synthesis.

p.s. this is the first, and hopefully only time I will ever disagree with somebody about getting Alchemy, because it is amazing, though not at all a solution to the OP's query

tone61

Post by tone61 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

antarktika:
Yes, I did read the first post.
If he wants to learn basic synthesis tecniques he already has tools for that. No need to buy anything new.
Use time to learning instead.

But if he wants to expand his arsenal Alchemy does have something that his current VSTs (or Massive/Monark) do not.
He can learn some new tricks using it.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Start with Analog (Live's Analog) and then Operator. They're both relatively simple to understand synths. Even I, a person who's never created my own synth sounds, was able to understand how to use it after a few video tutorials. Plus, Analog has such rich sexy sounds you can get out of it. Just listen to the Tycho record.

The basics will give you good sounds and then you can get more advanced from there. Also, this will teach you the basics of subtractive synthesis and FM synthesis so if you decide to go to a 3rd party synth such as Massive or Monarch, you'll already have a grasp on what they can do. The learning curve won't be as high.

Hell, you seem set on Monarch. Just dive in man and good luck.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm

It amazes me when someone asks something straight forward like "which of the following synths should I focus on", which is obviously meant to reduce options and people suggest more synths, which is just the opposite of the goal. I guess people only read subject titles sometimes...

Anyways,

Monark is the perfect place to start. A minimoog has the basics that will teach about synthesis. Combinin oscillators of different shapes and pitches and then running them through amp and filter envelopes. It also lets you use the third osc as an lfo. So you can start to understand how envelopes and lfos shape the sound when modulating volume and filter, which is the most common modulation. Then when you move on to Massive or Albino and others, which have complex modulations, you can understand how a modulator (ie. envelope or lfo) affects the destination (such as filter or amp or other parameter).

And also introduces you to fm because the third osc can modulate the other oscs. When this is in the audible range (not lfo range), it functions as an FM osc for the others, so it introduces you to that. That same concept is how operator works, modulating oscillators by other oscs. With Monark (minimoogs) you just have the one osc fm, but with operator and FM8 you have lots of combinations.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 pm

This is fantastic.

http://www.timespace.com/product/SOSS-1 ... ds%29.html

Learn from a master.