soundcard with lots of outsputs

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
daaa

soundcard with lots of outsputs

Post by daaa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 pm

hello,
i'm developing a installation with lot;s of single speakers (each playing different sound).
which sound cards do you know with a lot of outputs?
I know the Zoom r24 can playback 24 tracks, do you know something that can play much much more?

thanks a lot!

jlgrimes

Re: soundcard with lots of outsputs

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 am

daaa wrote:hello,
i'm developing a installation with lot;s of single speakers (each playing different sound).
which sound cards do you know with a lot of outputs?
I know the Zoom r24 can playback 24 tracks, do you know something that can play much much more?

thanks a lot!
Motu 896 mk3 can have like 28 but you would need to buy some extra da converters such as the behringer Ada 8000 to take advantage of the adat outs.

It comes with 8 analog outs, 1 spdif out (2 extra outs with a spdif da converter), 2 adat outs (16 extra outs with 2 adat da converters).

73*

Post by 73* » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:43 am

An RME HDSPe MADI FX will likely give you the greatest number of outputs (194 in, 196 out), but it will require external digital to analog converters. However there isn't any other option that I'm aware of that will perform as well, or provide the level of flexibility.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madi_fx.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRV5QxoXkV0

As for digital to analog converters the SSL XLogic Alpha Link converters would work very.

Hopefully this isn't a permanent installation and that you might be able to rent the components (unless there is a healthy budget).

Alternatively Motu does have the 24I/O, which might be less expensive than the RME and SSL combo.

Do keep in mind that most dependable high channel count solutions will be PCI/PCIe based.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm

RME is the expensive, though high qualty solution. If you go cheap, you can use 2 sound cards and aggregate them (If you use MAC, of course)
MBP 2015, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6
Live 9.7.6 Suite
Live 10.1.14 Suite
Soundcards : FF800, Apollo Twin duo