Windows users: Crash question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Upright

Windows users: Crash question

Post by Upright » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 am

For those of you that use Windows....when Live crashes I ALWAYS have to completely restart my computer before Live will open again. If I don't restart my computer the Live icon does not open Live when I click on it. Are you guys experiencing the same? Is the a reason why this happens,...and most importantly is there a way to get Live to respond without a complete restart?

Thanks

Slartibart

Re: Windows users: Crash question

Post by Slartibart » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 am

Yes, the same thing has happened to me (yesterday, several time - never before :cry: ). It is because the Ableton Live process is still running. I cannot even close it through Task Manager, so I have to reboot.

-Slartibart

ark

Post by ark » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 pm

The first thing I would check is whether all of the MIDI devices connected to your computer have been closed correctly. One way to do this might be to run another MIDI application such as MIDI OX and see whether it is possible to communicate with every device. If it is not, try disconnecting the hanging device. Doing so might allow Live to terminate.

Upright

Post by Upright » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:13 pm

ark wrote:The first thing I would check is whether all of the MIDI devices connected to your computer have been closed correctly. One way to do this might be to run another MIDI application such as MIDI OX and see whether it is possible to communicate with every device. If it is not, try disconnecting the hanging device. Doing so might allow Live to terminate.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Are you on Windows and are you saying that you have used your process to enable Live with rebooting?

ark

Post by ark » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Upright wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply. Are you on Windows and are you saying that you have used your process to enable Live with rebooting?
I haven't had the specific problem you've had, but in the past I have had programs fail to terminate and have sometimes been able to resolve the problem by finding a USB MIDI device that was refusing to accept a close request and disconnecting it.

So, although I'm not saying explicitly that your problem has a similar cause, I am suggesting that it is an avenue worth exploring.

Upright

Post by Upright » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:20 pm

ark wrote:
Upright wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply. Are you on Windows and are you saying that you have used your process to enable Live with rebooting?
I haven't had the specific problem you've had, but in the past I have had programs fail to terminate and have sometimes been able to resolve the problem by finding a USB MIDI device that was refusing to accept a close request and disconnecting it.

So, although I'm not saying explicitly that your problem has a similar cause, I am suggesting that it is an avenue worth exploring.

I understand and will definitely give it a try should I have the problem in the future.

RingoS

Post by RingoS » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 pm

I`m using the Live 8.4 64bit version on Windows 8, and it does crash a lot! Last time it crashed the whole system, but this only happened once. Usually a restart will do.
I even sent them the crash report and really hope they do get a grip on it!!

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 am

I am having the same issue on Windows 7 with Live 9.
Task Manager will not let me force-quit Live's process. I have to wait 5-10 minutes before it does on its own. Very frustrating. Any new insights on this?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 am

I think asio driver hasn't released the process of Live.

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am

I get this every time Live 8 crashes on Windows 8. Since 8.4 is crashing more than ever, that is often (well, not so often recently because I've become fed up with it). Reaper, Renoise and Audiomulch don't tie up the System that way when they crash, so while I've read about other DAWs leaving a 'zombie process' after a crash, Live is the only one that does it on my system.

Also, like others, the process can't be killed in the task manager. You have to reboot or log off and on again. Just logging off and on again is a bit faster than a reboot and usually solves it.

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:15 pm

wasoota wrote: Just logging off and on again is a bit faster than a reboot and usually solves it.

Thanks for the information....I'll be sure to give it a try the next time I have a crash.