how to modulate LFO using clip envelopes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomh8891

how to modulate LFO using clip envelopes

Post by tomh8891 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 am

is there a way to modulate an LFO filter using clip envelopes?

Mage2k

Re: how to modulate LFO using clip envelopes

Post by Mage2k » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 pm

The short answer is probably "yes". However, you're going to need to be more specific about what you're trying to do. For starters, and LFO and a filter are two different things. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

tomh8891

Post by tomh8891 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 am

sorry i'm kinda a noob at this but i'll try n explain... what i want to do is use a filter in one of my samples so that for the beginning of the sample its just the original sound n then every few bars i can use the pencil tool n pencil in how much i would like it to modulate a filter... is that clear enough?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu May 02, 2013 9:32 pm

You are likely looking to modify Filter Frequency then. Depending on the device you are using, this might look different in different places.

The easiest way to find it is to click the knob you want to draw automation to, and then go to the clip window, which will have that most recently clicked knob ready to be written to for you.

-In the clip view, click the (E) bulb to show envelopes
-Make sure your drop down is showing all parameters, not just ones with auto/modulation
-If the clicking trick didn't work, you'll see your list of devices, with all parameters in the dropdowns. Select Filter Frequency
You are likely looking for a different loop length for the filter vs the programmed notes (i.e., it's a 1 bar loop, but you want the filter to shift every 4 bars) -- to do this, click the "Linked" button.

See Chapter 20: Clip Envelopes in the Live 9 manual; page 269.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... -download/
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5