Installing Live 4 updates...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ToLTeK

Installing Live 4 updates...

Post by ToLTeK » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:19 am

Sorry for ignorance but.., is there a way to force/install "newer" revision of Live 4 overwriting the previous one..? Every time I install Live 4 update, it ends up as a totally new program instalation- leaving behind all the crap from the previous version... - VERY annoying. I Am on Mac OSX
Kind Regards
Last edited by ToLTeK on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToLTeK

Post by ToLTeK » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:22 am

Bump... It is very interesting to learn that there are so many IGNORANT Mac users that wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about... What a shame... PC users always somehow jump "onboard" to help each other... What's up Mac users..?!

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:54 pm

I am a PC user and was wondering about this very same thing. It is very annoying to have such huge remnants left behind and taking up hard drive space. Why doesn't the program just upgrade my existing version?

ToLTeK

Post by ToLTeK » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:48 pm

Exactly... Not to mention that I have found myself downloding 100+ MB worth of sample data as well (part of each version full update)....Ableton, PLEASE HELP... Anyone...
Kind Regards

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:14 pm

well you can copy the sample data from the old to the new, and you might want to keep the old one around for a little bit incase there are bugs. An if you know where you mac keeps things its just a simple "control click" to throw something into the trash....

AndrewDuke

Post by AndrewDuke » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:21 pm

i'm on pc, but i assume it is the same on mac. (on pc it also creates a new instance of live; ie it doesn't get rid of the previous one). anyway, move all of your presets, content, etc over to the new update and then--when you are totally sure the new update is bug free--just delete the previous update. hope this helps. ps when you download updates, you can choose to download the version that does not have the full samples. andrew

m-laboratories.net

intentional

Post by m-laboratories.net » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:26 pm

i could be mistaken, but I think this upgrade behavior is intentional, and I for one appreciate it. If I download an update that doesn't work, has an unusable bug, or is slow for some reason, I like having the full previous option to work with in the meantime.

If you don't need this security, then just remove the old one before upgrading.

But I understand everybody else's frustration. my opinion's just different i guess...

ToLTeK

Re: intentional

Post by ToLTeK » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm

m-laboratories.net wrote:i could be mistaken, but I think this upgrade behavior is intentional, and I for one appreciate it. If I download an update that doesn't work, has an unusable bug, or is slow for some reason, I like having the full previous option to work with in the meantime.

If you don't need this security, then just remove the old one before upgrading.
That's fine, I can see Your point but, how about the insalation that will just ask -overwrite? - like most other apps do...
BTW; Does the "sample data" change from one revision to another..? We can't be sure and therefore it"s back to downloading/installing/wasting more than 1ooMB worth of bandwidth and harddrive space...
Kind Regards

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:14 am

I'm on PC and I keep 4.0 and just delete the version previous from update and all of my files carry over to the update.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:40 am

ToLTeK wrote:Bump... It is very interesting to learn that there are so many IGNORANT Mac users that wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about... What a shame... PC users always somehow jump "onboard" to help each other... What's up Mac users..?!
Nice one. What are you like 12 or something?

I'm surprised any one helped you at all.

You drag the old Ableton folder to the trash. Empty the trash. Drag the new Ableton Folder to your applications folder.

Rocket science, I know. But it is easier than it sounds.

You can also go to mac hd/user/library/application support/ableton and delete any older folders if you'd like.

A good way to avoid downloading the same samples over and over again is to choose the option "download without samples"

I don't share your frustration and I really don't see what the problem is.

:?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:58 am

sorry, i can't help you.
i'm too "IGNORANT"

fucking idiot.