wtf is this 'dimmed' record button ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GUY SMILEY

wtf is this 'dimmed' record button ?

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat May 04, 2013 11:15 am

This is doing my head in.
As of Ableton 9, every time I hit record on one of my 'external instrument' tracks, one of the other tracks also arms itself with a 'dimmed' record button and thens write over whatever is going on in that track.
does anyone else know what this is all about, and what I can do to turn it off ?
:(

cotdagoo

Re: wtf is this 'dimmed' record button ?

Post by cotdagoo » Sat May 04, 2013 11:54 am

Guessing it might be related to the new Automation Arm button located at the top near the play/stop/record transport.

It looks like 2 little O's and the button beside it is an arrow "<-"

When enabled, manual parameter changes will be recorded into session clips or arrangement - and it determines if automation will be recorded on a all playing clips or only armed tracks.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat May 04, 2013 12:09 pm

cotdagoo wrote:Guessing it might be related to the new Automation Arm button located at the top near the play/stop/record transport.
Yeah, I thought it must be related, but turning that on and off doesn't seem to have any effect.
The only way I have found to disable it is to turn on, then off, record enable on another (third) track.
..then re-click on the original track.

I have been working with it since beta, and thought I was just being dense (not understanding the new automation implementation) but after having been using it for a while, it just seems like an annoyance ?
I mean, I'm not discounting the idea I'm being dense heh ;)

I have 'arm exclusive' off (although if this is turned on, it does get rid of this altogether)
and I have session record, arm automation, midi automation overdub and re-enable automation dimmed.

This whole 'I just want to record' dynamic seems to have got a whole lot more complex, and I'm still playing catch up..
..specifically with external instruments.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat May 04, 2013 12:14 pm

ah ha this thread helped

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193274

specifically the Madeleine Bloom tutorial here

http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live-i ... #more-1464

Nice One :D

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 pm

GUY SMILEY wrote:I have been working with it since beta, and thought I was just being dense (not understanding the new automation implementation) but after having been using it for a while, it just seems like an annoyance ?
I mean, I'm not discounting the idea I'm being dense heh ;)

This whole 'I just want to record' dynamic seems to have got a whole lot more complex, and I'm still playing catch up..
..specifically with external instruments.
You're certainly not alone.. Haven't had such strong feelings of "I must be missing something" in a software update before :)

glad the other tip worked - I was going to direct you to that other topic if things didn't work out, but figured you'd track it down pretty quick

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm

I thought using the options.txt would totally get rid of the pink auto rec arm

But In my experience it did not - so unless my .txt is mess up idk what to do.
I have arm exclusive off which I thought would make Push like my APC40 where every rec arm button functions independently but this is not totally the case

I'd love if anyone could confirm these behaviors

I'm using 9.0.3 and the options.txt hack -noautoarm

If you've got a midi track that's not armed and you bring this track into focus on Push in session mode, now switch to note mode and see if the arm button turns pink and arms itself automatically.

The next is to test the arm exclusive feature.

If you have have 4 tracks two Audio and 2 Midi rec arm all of them, bring a midi track into focus and using push press the rec arm button to deactivate it, in my experience both midi track will disarm and both audio tracks stay rec armed. This functionality is not desirable and I'd love to hear other experience

Thank

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:I thought using the options.txt would totally get rid of the pink auto rec arm

Thank
Yeah you're right. I thought it was 9.0.4. but it's probably not.
This seems to be a bug to me.
I have one track on my default project. click record against an external instrument. 'unlick' record and the record button stays pink.
why ?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

the pink rec. is only for midi tracks...and only appears on a selected track
if no other tracks are rec. enabled by the user...
it marks the track that automatically records when the "new"/session record button is pressed.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm

3dot... wrote:the pink rec. is only for midi tracks...and only appears on a selected track
it marks the track that automatically records when the "new"/session record button is pressed.
Thanks for the concise summary. Had eluded me. I also got some helpful support from ableton.. it's all linked to Push apparantly

Cheers

Jeffromusic

Post by Jeffromusic » Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 am

GUY SMILEY wrote:
3dot... wrote:the pink rec. is only for midi tracks...and only appears on a selected track
Thanks for the concise summary. Had eluded me. I also got some helpful support from ableton.. it's all linked to Push apparantly

Cheers
What if you don't have a push.. still having this same problem

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 am

Jeffromusic wrote:
GUY SMILEY wrote:

Cheers
What if you don't have a push.. still having this same problem
No, i don't have push either. it looks as if it is also linked to the launchpad. it denotes the track 'in focus'.

Jeffromusic

Post by Jeffromusic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 am

GUY SMILEY wrote:
No, i don't have push either. it looks as if it is also linked to the launchpad. it denotes the track 'in focus'.
Yes.. I'm having this problem with the launchpad too. Still haven't figured it out

MichPazde

Post by MichPazde » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:22 pm

it's not only Push, it was happening due to my Komplete Kontrol S61 too.. I was pretty frustrated by that but plugging it off did that for me atm. But still don't know how to turn the dimmed red button completely while having my midi keyboard plugged in.