Kind of pissed off by buying Max4L on Suite 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJTIVA

Kind of pissed off by buying Max4L on Suite 8

Post by DJTIVA » Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I just bought Max4L on the Ableton site because there are some useful tools to control external gear. I am still on Live 8 Suite because I want to wait until most bugs are gone before updating. What really pisses me off now is that the copy of Max that I just bought is not Max 6 but Max 5. I can not download Max 6. Is it supposed to be like this? You only get Max 6 when purchasing Live 9 Suite? On the Ableton Site you only read about Max 6. Customers who still want to use Live 8 and purchase Max4L get a copy of Max5. Sorry but that is a fooling around with customers and is a total rip off. I would need to buy a crossgrade now to have Max6 or what?
I really do not get it and will call up the customer service this week because this is not the fine way dealing with users.

S4racen

Re: Kind of pissed off by buying Max4L on Suite 8

Post by S4racen » Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Max5 is the editor for live 8 max 6 for live 9..... 5 has been the editor since launch of m4l, remember its separate to full max and much cheaper....

6 was only ever available in live 8 if you bought the full version of max and whilst better from an editor point of view I found it didn't always play as well....

Cheers
D

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm

And from where would you know this from as an Ableton customer. If you look up on the Ableton site you only read about Max6 now. And what is the crossgrade about on the Ableton website? No real description exists for it. I could still buy it but dont know what its for.
The only solution is to upgrade to Live 9 Suite or purchase full Max6 over at cycling74?
Sorry but such details should be declared on the Ableton site.

Further is written that Max4L is now fully 64bit. Version 5.x.x is only downloadable in 32 bit, kind of useless as I am on Live 8.4 in 64 bit mode. I bought a product that is more or less useless for me just because information on the site is missleading and incomplete. This is a bit frustrating.

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeah, they're basically selling a discontinued product. m4L is only in Suite 9, the 'other' one is the old m4l, based on Max 5. And no, there's no way you could have known that, really.

But for what you must have paid you could have ought Live 9 Suite for little more and used m4L from there with Live 8?

I'd complain to support that you were not made aware of these issues when you bought m4L and would like a refund in favor of Live 9. They're usually a bit slow but in my experience they have always been helpful.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Sun May 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I will upgrade to Live 9 Suite in the next weeks. I am waiting with the upgrade as a release is on the way and the tracks are at mastering right now. Before this process is not finished an update is no option for me as all tracks were done in Live 8 and I have heard from lost parts within projects from other users due to updating.
If small parts have to be changed I require my complete projects and do not want to deal with updating problems.

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 am

Fwiw, I've been working with live 8 and mfl for at least 6 months and it works... What seems weird is to pay for mfl with live 8 knowing it will be included with suite 9...
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

login

Post by login » Mon May 06, 2013 2:40 pm

What are you missing here is thar Max standalone is not included with m4l, it's a separte application so in some way it's quite irrelevant to have 5 or 6.

But You can download max 6 demo and install to try it along m4l. If I rememeber correctly some users did it and it wasn't that much hassle, but it's not officially supported.

wasoota

Post by wasoota » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

login wrote:What are you missing here is thar Max standalone is not included with m4l, it's a separte application so in some way it's quite irrelevant to have 5 or 6.
What you are missing here is that the m4L download for Live 9 is m4L v6.1 while the one for Live 8 is m4L v5.1, the version number being a reference to the MAX version it's based on. If you bought what is sold simply as "Max for Live" and own Live 8, you bought v5. If you own Live 9, you bought v6.

This is not made clear in the m4L page, which advertises several m4L v6 features and devices that are not available if you only own Live 8. It actually states on the Max for Live page:
Based on Max 6. Max for Live is based on Max 6 - the latest version of Max.

Max 6 introduces a number of new features that make patching easier and more powerful. And all of them are available in Max for Live. In Max 6, the interface has been redesigned, allowing for easier patching. Audio quality has been improved with a 64-bit audio engine and improved filter design tools. Additional features include enhanced OpenGL support, including a new physics engine and support for Gen, an add-on that compiles patches into code for improved performance.

None of these Max 6 exclusive features is available unless you own Live 9. They are technically not features of "Max for Live", they are features of Live 9. Max for 'Live 8' is simply not based on Max 6 at all, nor does it support any of its exclusive features. They should say so as long as they are selling m4L seperately.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Max4L 6 runs without problems on Live 8. Only Max4L 6.1 has features especially for Live 9. I mainly bought Max4L because of the Pulse 1.0 Editor and the Moog Voyager Editor. The Pulse Editor is based on Max6 and probably will not run with Max5.

As I stated before, I will upgrade to Live 9 Suite in the near future but I am waiting because I do not want to deal with updating problems at the moment. The problem is that Ableton does not give detailed information about what version you are actually buying. Reading of Max6 all over the site you get to believe that this is the product you are going to get. After purchasing Max4L as an extra and then realizing that you just bought an outdated version is not the way you get happy.

Further it is not the job of a customer to seek the web on information on what you are about to buy and get in the end. Complete information should be transparent from the actual seller.