What is a Plug-In and How do i get them?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MidiMadMan

What is a Plug-In and How do i get them?

Post by MidiMadMan » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

This may be a very obvious answer to most of you here. However I am still trying to learn everything about Ableton. I have only had it for a couple weeks. I have seen in videos, guys pulling up plug-ins that modify the sound. I have googled ableton plug-ins to no avail. I appreciate any help. I just want to know what they are, do, and how I can get them??

Thanks for your help.

su

Re: What is a Plug-In and How do i get them?

Post by su » Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 am

Usually the term plugin is used to refer to virtual synthesizers, audio effects and midi effects. There are plugins that come with Ableton Live and you can also use 3rd party plugins in Live.

My suggestion is to...

Read section 17.2 of the Live manual
For additional general background read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

Then go to these sites and explore some free plugins

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/
http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php

Also, google search something like "free vst plugins". Every music forum on the net has lists of user's favorite plugins.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 pm

http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

MidiMadMan

Post by MidiMadMan » Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks for being so helpful guys. I am going to check all those websites/google searches right now on my lunch break!

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Plug-ins are just third party devices.. you could think of Operator or Beat Repeat as plugins but they are native Live devices so they technically aren't plugins..

So my advice would be to just use the stock Ableton stuff until you experience first hand their shortcomings and then, only then, venture into the rabbit hole that is Plug-ins.. 8)

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm

KVR forums are the best to see what plugins people are using and what they think of them.

u-he do some amazing synthesisers.
I got Ableton Live only so I could use u-he Zebra.
Best effect plugins for altering the sound are Soundtoys and Valhalla DSP.
Those are what I use and the best I have demoed and bought but there are many others which around as good.

Plugins for windows computers use a format called VST and Macs use one called AU. Nearly all DAWS are designed to accept these formats. I think it's just Reason that won't.

If you are using the 64bit install of Ableton Live then you need to install 64bit plugins or they won't work. You could use a program called Jbridge to run 32bit plugins in Live 64bit but it's not perfect with all plugins.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

I would agree with TLYRBass - save yourself some time and energy, and only use Ableton's plug-ins and instruments for at least 6 months. They are more than capable of doing the job. Creating this limitation for yourself is the best way to learn and become familiar with how they work.
And this will save you hours of time....instead of googling, reading articles/messagboards, you can be making music instead.
Which is most important.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Not exactly true, since you can use Simpler as a synth and has all the synth basics.
ImageImage

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 pm

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Unless you're using simpler to play a drum loop, you're most likely already using it as a synth. If you really wanted to be accurate about it, shorten the loop length to get closer to a singular wav cycle but still, if you're hitting different notes to change the pitch of the wav inside it, you're already using it as a synth.
Main point being, there's enough there for a newb to learn what ADSR, Filter and LFO's are and the ability to use them as a traditional synth.
And since you can make the loop length small enough to get a single wav cycle out of any wav form, ANY audio file in it can be used as an oscillator.
You don't need to make a rack out of it or use anything else to make it a synth.
:x
ImageImage

su

Post by su » Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Just to reinforce shadx312's point which really doesn't need reinforcing. I'm actually going "backwards" in my workflow and greatly simplifying by using simpler as my default starting point for nearly everything. I'm finding I can accomplish about 98.3% of everything I need to do with simpler. It's very well named, and simple is not bad IMO. For me simpler=quick and effective.

Sorry for dragging off topic

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Thu May 09, 2013 2:12 pm

su wrote:Just to reinforce shadx312's point which really doesn't need reinforcing. I'm actually going "backwards" in my workflow and greatly simplifying by using simpler as my default starting point for nearly everything. I'm finding I can accomplish about 98.3% of everything I need to do with simpler. It's very well named, and simple is not bad IMO. For me simpler=quick and effective.

Sorry for dragging off topic
What are you using for the other 1.7% of your sounds? :wink: :lol:

su

Post by su » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm

observant lot you are.

;-)

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

XSIMan wrote: Plugins for windows computers use a format called VST and Macs use one called AU.
This is not an entirely accurate statement. Mac can use universal binary VST's (vst's designed for mac os) as well as Audio Units, Logic can only use audio units, but there are loads of VST's for mac, you just have to make sure they are universal binary format VST's

Jamie83

Post by Jamie83 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am

I'm a newbie to Live as well and my take on plug ins is that I view them as kind of 'add ons' if you like. Similar to games where you can purchase extra levels, a plug in will ultimately expand your arsenal. This could be completely wrong but just my simple way of looking at it.