How to Best Position Studio Equipment in a New Room

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mozzatron

How to Best Position Studio Equipment in a New Room

Post by mozzatron » Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 am

So we had a baby a few weeks ago which means my studio room is slowly being converted into a baby room. Not ideal.

Anyway, i've decided to move all my gear downstairs into the front room (Which currently doesn't get used for anything).

Its a decent sized room and i'm not sure at this stage where's best to place my desk in relation to the room. Does anyone know of any good websites that talk about ideal placement etc?

Cheers

mozzatron

Re: How to Best Position Studio Equipment in a New Room

Post by mozzatron » Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 am

Nice tip, seems to cover everything thanks for that FM!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Here's an article I wrote on the topic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/aud ... and-mixing

Just this past weekend I rebuilt my setup, and I wired my studio to be as child-proof as possible. I have a nine-month-old, we live in a two bedroom apartment, and my "studio" is a dining room that my wife and I share as an office. My child-proofing strategy was to position my rack in the corner of the room, on top of a small table so that it's off the ground. The rack is cordoned off from the rest of the room by a big bookcase that's filled with my vinyl collection, and the desk. No cables dangle down. All of the wiring is neatly tucked away, and I used a conduit product called The Cable Organizer to run all of the necessary cables to the desk, with one conduit for power/data cables, and the other for audio (studio monitor cables, mic cables, and cables to attach to my turntables/DJ rig to the recording + monitoring). It turned out pretty well.

I currently don't have enough physical space to utilize all of the tips that I cover in my article, but using the Bass Tilt settings on my Genelec 8030's and 7050B sub, I think I have a pretty accurate response. I'm stoked.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Assuming a rectangular room, the general rule is to have the monitors in the middle of one of the shortest walls.

If you can, of course.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks Sam, that's a great article

I also read your Push article and i completely agree with you on most points. I'm struggling to get a whole track down and find myself distracted by all the features and just end up going off on a tangent. It's almost like when i play Grand Theft Auto, i never end up doing the missions as i get distracted too easily and end up running prostitutes over
Hidden Driveways wrote:Here's an article I wrote on the topic:

Just this past weekend I rebuilt my setup, and I wired my studio to be as child-proof as possible. I have a nine-month-old, we live in a two bedroom apartment, and my "studio" is a dining room that my wife and I share as an office. My child-proofing strategy was to position my rack in the corner of the room, on top of a small table so that it's off the ground. The rack is cordoned off from the rest of the room by a big bookcase that's filled with my vinyl collection, and the desk. No cables dangle down. All of the wiring is neatly tucked away, and I used a conduit product called The Cable Organizer to run all of the necessary cables to the desk, with one conduit for power/data cables, and the other for audio (studio monitor cables, mic cables, and cables to attach to my turntables/DJ rig to the recording + monitoring). It turned out pretty well.

I currently don't have enough physical space to utilize all of the tips that I cover in my article, but using the Bass Tilt settings on my Genelec 8030's and 7050B sub, I think I have a pretty accurate response. I'm stoked.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed May 08, 2013 9:12 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:Here's an article I wrote on the topic:

this is really good, thanks!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 pm

:D I'm glad you liked the article. I put a lot of work into that one.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm

It shows. Well done and thanks again. Will definitely get some use out of it!