Advanced scene launching

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aaron B

Advanced scene launching

Post by Aaron B » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm

I would like to launch a scene and only have say 1 or 2 of my say 10 tracks to play initially so I can then introduce the other tracks as required what is the best way to do this.?

yur2die4

Re: Advanced scene launching

Post by yur2die4 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Make another scene.

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Check out these two threads

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192305&hilit=ignore ... r&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187549&hilit=ignore+column+trigger

this is one of my top feature requests for the past few years

Aaron B

Post by Aaron B » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah there's a lot of really unhelpful/ stupid answers there hey! At least I can see there are a few people that feel the same way and unfortunately it looks like it can't be done! I just don't understand this short coming that would simplify things... Come on ABLETON do it.....

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue May 07, 2013 7:26 pm

YES! It is really hard to believe that Ableton would omit such an important and helpful function, and force us to use WAY more screen real estate than necessary, but there it is. A lot of user responses HAVE been really stupid and misleading - it is a fact that Ableton does not have this very, very simple and useful feature.

I had hoped it would be in 9.4, but ... no.

I CANNOT understand why Ableton thinks this feature is unimportant, it is just stupid to be forced to launch every frickken clip in a scene row.....

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

i think some strategic use of the stop clip buttons and clip/scene arranging in the session view is in order.

Taking out stop buttons will allow triggering new scenes without stopping the currently playing clips.(you have to arrange it for yourself though).

Hope I may have sparked some thoughts.

you can't wait around for them to implement a feature request.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

This is one of the, uh, underwhelming responses we get all the time. It doesn't even begin to address the real issue..
dna598 wrote:i think some strategic use of the stop clip buttons and clip/scene arranging in the session view is in order.

Taking out stop buttons will allow triggering new scenes without stopping the currently playing clips.(you have to arrange it for yourself though).

Hope I may have sparked some thoughts.

you can't wait around for them to implement a feature request.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 am

I would not call it an "issue", Live is designed this way, scene triggering triggers all clips in the scene, point.

but you got many ways to arrange your session view, to be able to do what you want to do.

deleting stop buttons in empty session clip slots is one way, using a trigger pad controller is another way, just trigger your 2 first tracks, then another, then another, easy.

anyway maybe we didn't understand your sparse question, sorry for that but you'd better explain the "issue" a bit more :wink:

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed May 08, 2013 12:53 am

You didn't understand my question (and that of many, many others that want this feature). The workarounds are all awkward, use up valuable screen space, and require one to jump through ridiculous hoops to program many different scenarios that would be ridiculously easy if only we could choose which clips were launched for a given scene.

If you don't understand the issue, then all I can say is that you haven't worked live gigs with more than, say 10 scenes with possibly different time signature and/or tempo changes that have to be changed in the heat of battle..

Of course, if all you do is 4/4 at 85 bpm, it may not be an issue for you....

It is simply a really,really stupid part of the (otherwise brilliant) design, and obviously important to any working musician......

Aaron B

Post by Aaron B » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Yeah I'm guessing a few people here saying just do this just do that are essentially using Ableton in a more orthodox way.. I understand how it's supposed to work I've done Vespers live 9 tutorial from start to end I've done Lynda's L9 Advanced tips and tricks and other tutorials that made me wonder how in the hell they could market they're useless information! I've been using cubase now for nearly 30 years and apart from using Ableton for djing and playing around with I've only been using ableton at this l level for 2 weeks and so far I see this situation as a short fall that should be addressed! I get blank clips that are stopped I get putting a song together that uses 100 scenes? :roll: but like I mentioned earlier I'm so tied up chasing percussionists with an insanely wondering tempo s I want to keep it simple i don't need beats I play keys live so it's easy for me to have a whole song on 1 scene then my whole set can be on 5 scenes so I can watch my fx buss and control on the grid I have on the Apc40 and all my song info... With that launch clip on off function this would be possible please understand what I'm saying.....and why are you arguing with what were asking it won't affect the way you use ableton! I do know from experience that if enough people suggest bitch and complain about something simple German software companies will address it....

Aaron B

Post by Aaron B » Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Buleriachk wrote:You didn't understand my question (and that of many, many others that want this feature). The workarounds are all awkward, use up valuable screen space, and require one to jump through ridiculous hoops to program many different scenarios that would be ridiculously easy if only we could choose which clips were launched for a given scene.

If you don't understand the issue, then all I can say is that you haven't worked live gigs with more than, say 10 scenes with possibly different time signature and/or tempo changes that have to be changed in the heat of battle..

It is simply a really,really stupid part of the (otherwise brilliant) design, and obviously important to any working musician......
100+ :D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Buleriachk wrote: If you don't understand the issue, then all I can say is that you haven't worked live gigs with more than, say 10 scenes with possibly different time signature and/or tempo changes that have to be changed in the heat of battle..

Damn, you know what, i'm really pissed off with your arrogant attitude. Precisely because i totally agree with the request (i've been claiming it for years) but the way you judge people will bring you nothing but hate. Instead of really trying to improve things, and having a constructive conversation.

Anyway, to stick to the subject : creating new scenes is not a decent solution for people wanting to save screen space, or in my case, wanting to keep everything on 7 row in a midi controller, for on stage playability.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

It doesn't help anyone to provide obvious "solutions" that don't address the real issues.
(not only that, my APC40 only has 5 rows)

And if I seem arrogant to you, it is ok with me...... just don't blur the issue by providing solutions that don't work for those of us that need this feature. I have a LOT more than 7 scenes and variations I want to have handy when improvising, and a lot of clips I want to be able to swap/launch/silence, etc. for any given scene.
chapelier fou wrote:
Buleriachk wrote: If you don't understand the issue, then all I can say is that you haven't worked live gigs with more than, say 10 scenes with possibly different time signature and/or tempo changes that have to be changed in the heat of battle..

Damn, you know what, i'm really pissed off with your arrogant attitude. Precisely because i totally agree with the request (i've been claiming it for years) but the way you judge people will bring you nothing but hate. Instead of really trying to improve things, and having a constructive conversation.

Anyway, to stick to the subject : creating new scenes is not a decent solution for people wanting to save screen space, or in my case, wanting to keep everything on 7 row in a midi controller, for on stage playability.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed May 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Forget about this. i'm leaving the topic.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 pm

If this feature was implemented my set would shrink by hundreds of scenes and would be much easier to manange. I want it.