Recording two instrument at the same time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dustin

Recording two instrument at the same time

Post by dustin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:21 pm

I Asked this question in another post. I may have been to brief. I want to record into my m-audio 410 via line input 1 being my roland 808 and line 2 analog(trs) my Turntable. Inside Ableton I want to monitor line 1 on track 1 and line 2 on track 2 and arm and record on both tracks at the same time. Is this possible?

I know I need a mixer and I'm going after at least a 4 channel. I was looking at the Bheringer dj700 5 channel going price $179. Any comments?

But in the mean time I want to lay down a mix w/ the 808 and 1 turntable to use to do some scratching and throw in some loops from my hard drive. and maybe a soft synth here and there.

Yes of course I can warp all my vinyl onto my hard drive and then mix that way. Just haven't gotten around to getting all the records on the hard disk. I like the digi analog way of mix downs. Any suggestions? Maybe templates that you may use that has a simlar setup?

Thanks for the feedback 8)
PB G4 1.5 gig 5400 hd 512 mem os x 10.1.9
ableton v4, M-Audio 410
Roland 808, Fender Strat '00
Stanton 100 turntable, Juno 6
Moogerfooger env/lo fi, EH Microsynth
ProCo Rat dist..etc.......

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 pm

both signals will be mono, go to your routing menu you should see a config.. click that then place one and 2 as mono inputs... then when you go to route them assign roland to 1 and turntable to 2 or vice versa

to record both you ctrl click the arm record buttons.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:39 pm

if you want to record both your 808 and your turntable at the same time, you'll have to do that in mono i'm afraid.
the FW410 has 4 inputs (2 mic at the front and 2 line at the back), but only 2 can be used at the same time.
in live, you'll have to enable the 1 & 2 (mono) inputs in your input configuration (in the prefernces), and you'll have to choose input 1 on track 1 and input 2 on track 2.
since a lot of dance records are mono, it's not such a big deal. concerning the 808, i wouldn't be surprised if the samples were mono too, so you won't loose much.
if you want your 2 sources to be available, but you don't plan to record them simultaneously, you can get a mixer with 2 buses, set live to record the signal from the group output, and switch the device you want to record.
i would advise you to buy a mixer with 2 buses anyway, sooner or later you'll need it if you have several sound sources.

hope this helps.