[SOLVED] HDD to 840 ProPACKS not recognized???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

[SOLVED] HDD to 840 ProPACKS not recognized???

Post by miekwave » Fri May 10, 2013 4:13 am

Hi, I transfered all my Ableton Packs and VSTs and large sample libraries to a Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB from a WD Scorpio 750 GB HDD.

The Samsung Drive in SUPER SUPER fast!

However I have ran into a problem with after transfering my ableton live packs. The sessions where I used the packs are no longer working and I have to manually reassign them, but I ran into another problem...

I am only allowed to see "Lessions" and "Samples" folder
Every single pack is missing "CLIPS" "DRUMS" and "SOUNDS", which I use to preview clips.

I tried reinstalling some Ableton 9 packs into ableton but get a "This Pack is already installed ERROR message"

When I switch the ableton live packs bank back to the original HDD Scorpion drive and restart ableton, it works as it normally did. I want to delete the ableton packs form my Scorpion drive and only run them on my SamSung HDD, but need to view the CLIPS DRUMS and SOUNDS in each respective pack (As applicable).

I have not tried loading my custom patches, I hope those load respective Pack files, but I have a feeling I will have to reassign all those too. Please advise!!!

I have a client coming over tomorrow and I do not have time to delete and reinstall each pack (It took me 3 days to install all ableton packs), plus I deleted some of the install files so downloading them again will take forever (Many of them were many GB, silly me)
Last edited by miekwave on Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

73*

Re: Transfered from HDD to 840 Pro, but PACKS not recognized???

Post by 73* » Fri May 10, 2013 4:17 am

How did you go about moving the packs?

I believe the correct way is by changing the default pack location from within the Ableton Live preferences, upon doing so you will be prompted if you want to move your existing packs. I'm under the impression that this should be all that is needed, although I must admit I have not done the process myself.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 am

73* wrote:How did you go about moving the packs?

I believe the correct way is by changing the default pack location from within the Ableton Live preferences, upon doing so you will be prompted if you want to move your existing packs. I'm under the impression that this should be all that is needed, although I must admit I have not done the process myself.
I manually Copied the Ableton Packs folder from WD Scorpion to Samsung 840 pro then I assigned it, big mistake I suppose, because it is now causing conflicts and it took a really long time to transfer those files (65GB of content). Also when I transfered itwithin Ableton my Scorpion kept shutting off, I beleive it has to do with the power, so I had to manually copy over 500MB segments so it didnt overheat, I need to find a utility that copies files at lower rates so my Scorpion doesn't shut it self down because it is transferring at max read capacity! I need to feed more power to it I suppose, but I do not have that right now.

I never experienced this problem transfering HDD to HDD, only from HDD to SSD

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Fri May 10, 2013 5:48 am

Well I found a solution, I transfered my packs from WD Scorpion to a Toshiba 5200 drive then from Toshiba 5200 to Samsung 840 Pro.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Transferring/copying from an HDD to a SSD should not cause any issues, especially with power and you wouldn't be able to change that anyways since it is coming from the DC connection from your power supply which should be feeding it 5V and 12V. Unless your PSU is getting flakey, otherwise there shouldn't have been any issue. And 65GB of sample moving isn't that much and shouldn't take too long to move across the drives. I moved 32GB roughly and it took xx minutes if I recall. From 2 7200RPM HDDs.

Hopefully things sorted out for you and no issues for your *client*.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:Transferring/copying from an HDD to a SSD should not cause any issues, especially with power and you wouldn't be able to change that anyways since it is coming from the DC connection from your power supply which should be feeding it 5V and 12V. Unless your PSU is getting flakey, otherwise there shouldn't have been any issue. And 65GB of sample moving isn't that much and shouldn't take too long to move across the drives. I moved 32GB roughly and it took xx minutes if I recall. From 2 7200RPM HDDs.

Hopefully things sorted out for you and no issues for your *client*.

Mike
I was transferring from USB 3.0 drives. The Scorpion was unpowered besides the actual USB 3.0 port which provided about 300ma bus power, the drive itself required 1000ma to operate at capacity without shitting itself off during file transfer.

Also, after doing a direct copy from drive to drive, Ableton Live 9 will not recognize those Packs, I looked at the ini files and Ableton hides all folders and only displays the Samples and Tutorials folders and not any other folders because of the way Ableton Live 9.0.4 was registered to recognize the original packs. This is updated when you select "MOVE" pack to new drive. After "MOVE"ing a pack to a new drive, its pack contents are deleted on the original drive and the Ableton registeres that pack to the new drive. The error occured when transferring packs that were in excess of 500MB, the trasnfer speeeds were too high for the WD Scorpion to handle using the Bus power.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Hmm USB 3.0 and still having issues? Did you plug in a wall-wart PSU to the drive (if it has that ability) and try again? Strange you'd be hitting issues like this....I don't think I have any USB 3.0 externals for one thing, 2ndly I always have the PSU connected to my external cases when they are in use (typically just for image backups). Let us know if line power helps.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.