mapping a large no of cc's at once

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jan jeffer

mapping a large no of cc's at once

Post by jan jeffer » Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm

does anyone know of a way to map midi cc messages that doesn't involve activating MIDI map mode

essentially I am trying to map an arbitrarily large no of controllers at once (from a max patch via the IAC driver)

the problem is if you have several messages going into Live at once MIDI map mode will only recognise the first one

the two workarounds i have already come up with are

1. use a physical device to assign the cc message to the parameter

2. send the cc's from max one at a time

both options are very time consuming

i really want to be able to type in the controller number to assign it to a parameter

can this be done?

thanks in advance

siliconarc

Re: mapping a large no of cc's at once

Post by siliconarc » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 am

In map mode you can send the control messages, then click in the map editor area and 'undo' your way through the sent CCs.

jan jeffer

Post by jan jeffer » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 am

thanks for the reply but i don't want to undo allocations, i want to make them, manually

so for instance

cc41 - track 1 vol
cc42 - track 1 pan
cc43 - track 1 send etc.

the trouble is I am sending live cc41, cc42, cc43....cc(n) continuously, every 10ms - far too fast to select a new parameter!

really i want to click on a parameter and type in the cc no as opposed to sending it the message

or even change the cc no in the map editor after it has been set

actually i don't think this is possible in Live - maybe a max patch or python script is the way to go?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Use the Iac driver and midi clips to send the cc back into Ableton if you haven't got a controller with an easy midi editor... I actually bought a nanokontrol so I could specifically do this quickly and easily, it's never been used for performance but purely for programming midi mapping....

Cheers
D