Looping 8 bars crackle pop at start

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
garthietrickett

Looping 8 bars crackle pop at start

Post by garthietrickett » Mon May 13, 2013 12:21 pm

First let me say this happens regardless of whether i use onboard or focusrite forte sound card.
When I loop tracks (8 bars in dance music) when it starts to begin the section again there is always a crackle pop type sound that comes out.
As well I get maybe 1 pop and crackle halfway through the loop although this is pretty random.

Anyone have any ways to sort out the crackling when loop is repeated help would be greatly appreciated as this really annoys me when mixing

Cheers Garth

vonGardener

Re: Looping 8 bars crackle pop at start

Post by vonGardener » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

What you describe i experienced, when a friend of mine was working on a windows based system with a mackie onyx mixer. We figured, that some VST Plugins must have caused this to happen. Unfortunately we never found out how to fix it except not to use them. If i recall correctly the different buffer rates can make the glitch noise go away a bit. If you’re working with Waves-plug-ins (those were the ones we had to deinstall) you could try to upgrade them and try out the newer versions (though i would recommend you not to avoid them if possible, i hate this company, terrible customer support).

I hope that helped.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Do you have warp mode set to complex pro? Complex pro will click/crackle at the beginning of the sample/clip. Try switching to a different wrp mode and see if the sound goes away

Cheers,
Mike

Fantismo

Post by Fantismo » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 am

ive had this in ableton in every pc/mac duet / apollo configuration ive ever had.. if you loop in arrangement youll always get a click / pop when it loops.

Fat_Stanley

Post by Fat_Stanley » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm also experiencing this in Session view playing Operator via an 8 bar MIDI loop - big, crunchy, poppy crackle at the start of each 8 bars (other than the first time the clip is triggered). As a workaround I can split the MIDI loop into two four bar loops set to follow next/previous and the pop goes away - baffling!

I'm using 9.04 on OSX10.8.3 and my interface is an RME Babyface. I'm on a late 2011, quad core i7 MBP with 8gb RAM (I realise that 32 bit Live won't access all the RAM, but I'm only working in a fairly small project at the moment and CPU is hovering around 10% - I'm in 32 bit Live for 3rd party plugin reasons).

Interestingly, I've just tried increasing the buffer size from 64 to 128 samples and it's alleviated the popping. I can't see why it would there would be a buffer size problem playing 8 bar loops vs 4 though...

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm

It seems that people here are talking about different problems. To rule out the most obvious cause of a click at the beginning of a loop; we are not talking about this:

https://www.ableton.com/de/articles/aud ... ive-clips/

right?
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Fat_Stanley

Post by Fat_Stanley » Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Because789, that's definitely not the problem I'm having, but zero crossing points did spring to mind when I read the posts prior to mine. I figured that the difficulty I'm having was sufficiently similar (the 8 bar loop common denominator) to go in the same thread. :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 pm

What does the CPU do during the crackling /popping?

Sometimes there is a CPU overload problem that happens when you are looping in arrange view. I suspect it has to do with latency and the size of the buffer. If I render at 88.2 sample rate and have cpu heavy plugins it can get ugly. Bad crackles and pops and CPU goes over 200. Gets worse with certain VSTs (e.g. dblue glitch)

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Fat_Stanley wrote:Hi Because789, that's definitely not the problem I'm having, but zero crossing points did spring to mind when I read the posts prior to mine. I figured that the difficulty I'm having was sufficiently similar (the 8 bar loop common denominator) to go in the same thread. :)
Yep, you problem sounds like a different one. In your case I'd try to rule out possible troublemakers by deactivating all the other tracks and every effect on the track with the operator and on the master. If the problem persists and it's not caused by the operator setting you have at least a solid base for further investigations.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Fat_Stanley

Post by Fat_Stanley » Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Because789 wrote:
Yep, you problem sounds like a different one. In your case I'd try to rule out possible troublemakers by deactivating all the other tracks and every effect on the track with the operator and on the master. If the problem persists and it's not caused by the operator setting you have at least a solid base for further investigations.
Think that's what I'll have to do, thanks.

mind power

Post by mind power » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 am

hi all for anyone still experiencing this 2016 i has same issue with ni komplete audio 6 on pc upgraded my ram by 2g worked like a charm usually crackling is caused because the cpu just cant handle it thanks

thenightfly

Post by thenightfly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I run 3 loopers on 6 tracks in Session view - that's 18 loopers all up. On 3 tracks I'm looping audio from VSTs, and on the other 3 is audio direct from my interface - a Motu Ultralite MK4, although I've used other interfaces and it makes no difference.

I get pops/clicks when starting any one of the loopers and the same when I clear it.

It's not consistent however - if Ableton is idle, it'll be fine. It seems to only be if it's playing back audio, regardless of the source.

I think it's CPU related - I'm running 18% at idle with what I have loaded, and 20% during playback. But the CPU meter jumps up to 25% when I trigger the looper, and the same when I clear it.

I've dialled back to 44100 and 256, but it makes no difference.

I'm going to try a few things and will update, but in the meantime, does anybody have a fix?