SSD and recording. Good or Bad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Re: SSD and recording. Good or Bad?

Post by Pasha » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:32 pm

jamief wrote:
Pasha wrote:
jamief wrote:I am in the process of installing crucial m500 SSD 960GB main drive and taking out the superdrive and putting in a 512GB SSD Samsung as the second internal drive.
i7 quad 2.3 macbook pro 16gb ram
Wow! Super setup!
Just curios... How will you distribute OS, Library and Projects on newer drives?

Well good question. I think OS will be on the 960 GB along with the projects, sample libraries etc etc. The 512 GB drive is really there to allow me to use as a secondary drive in the event that the primary drive becomes too full with programs etc etc as you know many plugins have huge Gb of additional libraries etc etc these days.
This would allow me to transfer all my projects libary etc etc to the 512 GB to allow more dedicated 960 GB space.
My previous drive a 750GB 7200rpm became full and i couldnt add anymore programs hence my desire to put in two drives and also increase the drive capacity.

I have a huge sample Libary as well 250 GB - 300 GB that i want to keep on an internal drive in the mac.

Incidentally the 912 GB M500 Crucial cost me £350 on ebay. Big price drops on these SSD.
Thanks! :D
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 pm

SSD is old

Get a PCI-E based SSD twice was fast as SSD.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 pm

That's just silly cash. I could get a good new guitar for what one of those crazy things cost.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:30 am

eyeknow wrote:That's just silly cash. I could get a good new guitar for what one of those crazy things cost.
You are right. But I got a very rare Fender Strat+ Deluxe with Gold Lace Sensors, Black Body, Rosewood Neck 20 years old.. my old axe. :-)
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 am

I'm bumping this.

I read these threads and wonder what the real deal is (nothing against those who post)

What I want is faster speeds and less noise. Shouldn't I be able to get one larger/expensive/bragging-rights drive and be done with it? My hard drives (even though they are not really noisy) are the noisiest part of my system.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 am

What about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

Sounds too good to be true. A VERY reasonable price, plenty of room, faster than a 7200 hard drive (allegedly).....not sure about noise (very important to me)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:52 pm

eyeknow wrote:What about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

Sounds too good to be true. A VERY reasonable price, plenty of room, faster than a 7200 hard drive (allegedly).....not sure about noise (very important to me)
at that price you can afford to find out.

also, there is a 3 year warranty.

just don't wipe or toss your old drive. :wink:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, I'm thinking about a new build. I don't think the SSD is feasible because of price and I keep hearing about the degradation thing. I wonder if these are quieter than a standard HD?

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Those would not be less noisy then a convential drive because it is a conventional drive with a small SSD attached. It caches your frequently accessed files to the SSD. So the speed imporvement is not across the board but only on frequently accessed items (like your OS and applications. Most file transfer would not be any faster.

I hear mixed review on the seagate hybrid. I was really tempted to buy one when I upgraded my Drive for my macbook pro but the reviews turned me off. Its new technology and might not be that stable. Its been abou year so maybe its improved. Also most bad review were from macbook pro users (so was really pertinant to me) but maybe for windows desktop it would be a better fit

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks. I've found little info on them. Some of that "customer" review stuff on sales pages, a couple of others that were kinda favorable. Starting to think ye'ol HD is the way to go if I do a new computer.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 pm

tried and true.

i recommend Western Digital.

YMMV

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 am

yeah, that's how I'm leaning. 200 bucks for two 2TB drives from a good company (in this case seagate, WD might be the one though) or triple/4times that for much less storage for SSD.

Oh, I WANT faster startup/project/loading times. DO WANT! But man, the coin......it's a toughy.

ConnorP

Post by ConnorP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm not sure external USB bussed HD's are such a good idea for audio production. Even with USB 3 speeds, there is still going to be a bottleneck. Better having internally connected drives IMHO.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 pm

I did lots of research on HHD vs SSD.

I purchased a Samsung 840 PRO 512GB for sample libraries and "Performance Ready" Live Sets.
I also purchased Western Digital Scorpio Black for "editing" Live Sets.
My OS and programs are on Toshiba 5200RPM.

I use RAMDISK for caching temp files.

with this setup, sets load quickly and audio is buffered into ram quickly.

Samsung 840 Pro and Intel 3500/3700 series are unequivocally the BEST SSD drives on the market for audio production.

Also RAMDisk does wonders to your workflow. Rendering is soo much faster. You want to clone your (now ready) project folder into ramdisk.

memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Interesting miekwave. Which ramdisk app are you using? I'm on the app store and macupdate, and I generally like to pick the one that is being actively updated, good customer ratings, etc. iRamdisk appears to get better reviews, but that could just mean that no one knows how to use ramdisk. That would be an issue for me as well, seeing as I wouldn't even recognize all apps within this class of utility.

Also, are you using just for your current production project-a tune, or are you performing full sets from the ramdisk image? You mention rendering-are you in the studio processing DSP plug-ins, bouncing to disk?

Also, are you getting distinct performance advantages in selecting two separate SSD manufacturers? Is one apparently edging out the other now that you've worked on them both?