Cache folder full of lives own samples?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
silversurfer60

Cache folder full of lives own samples?????

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Everybody knows the cache folder in the prefrences. Ableton tells you, it is the folder where encoded samples as mp3s are decoded.

I've been using a SSD and today I took a view inside and I saw all the presets, I've been testing the last 5 days for a new live project. They are still inside this folder. I didn't use any mp3 files at this time. For example: If you drag a preset from Drum Machines or Samplification into your Set, it will be in the decoding cache folder too.

Why?? Are the samples of Ableton and the PACKS mp3?? So If you wanna try some sounds for your new live set, then your cache folder is rapidly full.

Does anybody knows, if this is right?

And should I move the cache folder to my second HDD drive. Because to much writing is not the best for SSDs, and it seems that Ableton is writing all the time.

silversurfer60

Re: Cache folder full of lives own samples?????

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Anybody an idea?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm

All I can add is that the previews for sounds are in ogg format.

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:25 pm

This is another thing.

My question was, why is live decoding his own samples, they are not in mp3!!

I have many presets of my own and a lot more in the old live 8 library.

All this presets are not previewing, so I have to drag them into a track to listen. And everytime live put the samples of such a preset into the cache folder, also the samples of a preset, I can preview, presumed, I drag it in a track.

I don't understand this behavier, in the manual and in the info txt they tell me, this folder is for encoded samples such as mp3 and ableton has to decode them.

The direction of the folder is: User/AppData/Roaming/Ableton/Cache/Cache/Decoding.

The folder blows up very quick, if you testing presets in a new project.

I'm very astonished, that everybody here don't give a shit on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

as far as I remember, Live decodes any files to uncompressed formats, i.e. if there are m4a, mp3, ogg and anything else compressed, it will be in the cache.
Also - and this is only a divagation - Live may encode also uncompressed formats, as it works with sound in 32 bits natively.

More infos on that should be in the manual I guess.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank