Live 9 Automation Points.....

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mozzatron

Live 9 Automation Points.....

Post by mozzatron » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

I friggin hate them!!!!!

Can we go back to the way we drew them in in Live 8....seriously, it's frustrating the shit out of me!

DataMusic

Re: Live 9 Automation Points.....

Post by DataMusic » Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm

+1

simple task always end in a massive click-fest

drive´s me crazy

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu May 16, 2013 4:14 pm

i friggin love it!

so much more intuitive than before

i had a hard time getting used to the old way

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm

it's all about the Béziers ba-bae!

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm

I have mixed feelings about it myself. I find most of the tasks are a bit quicker, but sometimes it's really finicky. Maybe the threshold for how close a pin is to prevent creating a new pin could be adjusted -- I feel like whenever I want to adjust a pin, I end up creating 600 more.
Last edited by ttilberg on Thu May 16, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

DataMusic

Post by DataMusic » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:Sorry, went off in a trance for a minute then. So, what's the problem with the new automation?
It seems that i only have that problem in Arrangemant-View. For some reason Live doesn´t just move the point that is enlighted, Live moves the hole bloody line. I understand the new concept and i know how to work with it but sometimes it just doesn´t moves like it should. It happens almost randomly...crtl Z..yes..no..ctrl Z...then you have a new point you don´t want..and again.. aargh

Don´t know if it´s me or it´s a bug but i never had that problem in Live 8

DataMusic

Post by DataMusic » Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm

ttilberg wrote:I have mixed feelings about it myself. I find most of the tasks are a bit quicker, but sometimes it's really finicky. Maybe the threshold for how close a pin is to prevent creating a new pin could be adjusted -- I feel like whenever I want to adjust a pin, I end up creating 600 more.

That´s bassicaly what i would have said if my english would be my first language :lol:

Well said, that´s the point

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 am

The issue i have is that when i create a number of points (4 for example) in order lower/higher the automation point i have selected, it moves the entire automation line.

I also end up creating shit loads of points, way more than what i intended....it's far too finicky

I also liked the previous version of Live in that you could highlight a selected portion of time, click on the sutomation line within that portion of time and lower/higher it. Now if i do that and click on the selected automation line it just creates a friggin click point!!!!

Is there a way around this?

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 am

Why the hell would they change that?!? Someone please chime in and tell me we can still do ^this somehow. Haven't gotten to editing automation in 9 yet.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 am

tips:
  • 1. as you move the mouse pointer closer to an automation line it will change color to highlight the line and then individual points: WATCH

2. to lower/raise a selection of points highlight them first, then move the mouse pointer until those points are selected (change color): WATCH
so... get close to select a line segment, get closer to select a point (or to add a point)

• 3. draw curved lines by holding down the ALT key then moving the mouse pointer closer to the line segment until it changes color (a tiny curved line appears under the pointer): WATCH

4. hold down CTRL/CMD to make finer movements on both line segments and points
edit:
  • 5. to move a selected group of points without adding new points, move the mouse pointer over one of the selected points, all will change color: WATCH
Last edited by sowhoso on Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri May 17, 2013 5:37 am

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to upload those (or repost them). Think i understand the concept now, will check it out tonight
sowhoso wrote:tips:
  • 1. as you move the mouse pointer closer to an automation line it will change color to highlight the line and then individual points: WATCH

2. to lower/raise a selection of points highlight them first, then move the mouse pointer until those points are selected (change color): WATCH
so... get close to select a line segment, get closer to select a point (or to add a point)

• 3. draw curved lines by holding down the ALT key then moving the mouse pointer closer to the line segment until it changes color (a tiny curved line appears under the pointer): WATCH

4. hold down CTRL/CMD to make finer movements on both line segments and points

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am

Apologies mate, i meant to quote your post also. Thanks for your feedback much appreciated. Will check out your tutorial mate!
Funk N. Furter wrote:
mozzatron wrote:The issue i have is that when i create a number of points (4 for example) in order lower/higher the automation point i have selected, it moves the entire automation line.

I also end up creating shit loads of points, way more than what i intended....it's far too finicky

I also liked the previous version of Live in that you could highlight a selected portion of time, click on the sutomation line within that portion of time and lower/higher it. Now if i do that and click on the selected automation line it just creates a friggin click point!!!!

Is there a way around this?
Have you read my posts? I explained all this. Also see the gifs in the other post which show exactly the same thing.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 am

i missed this tip...

to move a selected group of points without adding new points, move the mouse pointer over one of the selected points, all will change color: WATCH

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri May 17, 2013 11:44 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
sowhoso wrote:
4. hold down CTRL/CMD to make finer movements on both line segments and points[/list]
I dunno about you, but for me if I use cmd while dragging a breakpoint it will only move vertically.
yup. i guess there should be a key combo for moving points horizontally in finer increments

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri May 17, 2013 11:50 am

one more very important tip...

to avoid adding points altogether, hold down SHIFT while moving a line segment