MIDI Guitar vs Roland GK-3 and Roland GI-20 vs GR-55

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

MIDI Guitar vs Roland GK-3 and Roland GI-20 vs GR-55

Post by rbro » Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 am

I currently use a Brian Moore iGuitar i91.13 into a Roland GI-20, which has been ok for the most part, but I've been thinking of getting the Roland GR-55 which comes with the GK-3 divided pickup, which I could then use with my strat (my favorite guitar). Anyone here have any experience with any of this gear? I'm curious if the GK-3 pickup will track as well as the iGuitar pickups and if the GR-55 is worth the price tag (~ $700).

murgatroid

Re: MIDI Guitar vs Roland GK-3 and Roland GI-20 vs GR-55

Post by murgatroid » Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 am

What about this sucker..

http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 am

murgatroid wrote:What about this sucker..

That looks pretty cool. So does that thing eliminate the need for any kind of hardware interface? Just the Triple Play wirelessly into my Mac with no middle man like the GI-20?

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 am

rbro wrote:
murgatroid wrote:What about this sucker..

That looks pretty cool. So does that thing eliminate the need for any kind of hardware interface? Just the Triple Play wirelessly into my Mac with no middle man like the GI-20?

I believe so... just software editor I think. Self contained unit on the guitar and USB wireless dongle.

I have a couple midi...3 actually... an old casio Pg380 I think, a Godin XTSa and a one of the Switch injected mold guitars with a built in GK2, oh and a GI-20. I'm ashamed to say I've hardly used them for their designed purpose.... I'm too lazy to be dicking with it all, lol

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I have a Fender with GK2 and VG99 that I use regularly with Live (GK2 or GK3 makes no difference).
If you are the synth guy GR-55 will be great! If you are the Guitar guy
then VG99 is better for flexibility and sound path.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri May 17, 2013 1:42 pm

My Tripleplay just arrived. :D Step one - download and install software, several gbs of it. :x

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri May 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Bagatell wrote:My Tripleplay just arrived. :D Step one - download and install software, several gbs of it. :x
Cool. Anxious to hear how it is. Do you need the software at all if you're just using it to play plugins in LIve?

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm

rbro wrote:Do you need the software at all if you're just using it to play plugins in LIve?
Yes you do, but it's a small download. The bulk of the downloads are samples and notation software, which you could probably do without.

First impression is that I wouldn't want to gig with this. It attaches to the guitar with magnets but there is a loop of wire from the controls to the PU that could easily cause some grief doing your Townsend impressions.

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri May 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Bagatell wrote:
rbro wrote:Do you need the software at all if you're just using it to play plugins in LIve?
Yes you do, but it's a small download. The bulk of the downloads are samples and notation software, which you could probably do without.

First impression is that I wouldn't want to gig with this. It attaches to the guitar with magnets but there is a loop of wire from the controls to the PU that could easily cause some grief doing your Townsend impressions.
Hmmmm. So the software needs to be running in order for the pickup to work? And how do the magnets mount on the guitar? Is it easy to do yourself without fucking up your guitar?

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri May 17, 2013 4:33 pm

rbro wrote:Hmmmm. So the software needs to be running in order for the pickup to work? And how do the magnets mount on the guitar? Is it easy to do yourself without fucking up your guitar?
Yep. No computer, no nothing.

There's a bracket that mounts very simply on the stap button of the guitar. The controller attaches magnetically to the bracket and the PU has it's own mount (either a plastic strip stuck to the pick guard or another bracket mounted on tunomatic bridges.) Either way you're left with that loop of cable.. but yes it's easy to install and wont fu the guitar.

THESVH

Post by THESVH » Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Just my 2 cents thrown in since I had experience with a Brian Moore and GR-33. I had a Brian Moore custom guitar with midi pickup and a GR-33 set up a few years back and although it was really fun it was not all that functional live and in some cases even in the studio. I got the You Rock Guitar about 2 years ago and upgraded last year to the Gen 2 and I gotta say the ease of use and compact convenience of it really impressed me and I find myself using it all the time now. As a midi controller alone it's been well worth the modest price.

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri May 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Hmm...I am really curious about how well the Fishman device works with Ableton and various vst synths like FM8. I suck at keyboards but am pretty good with pads so was considering the Push (when its available, LOL), but if I could use my guitar (and wireless!), that is enticing.

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm getting perilously close to buying this thing. Anyone here who owns it that can give a brief review? Are you happy with your purchase? I saw a few negative reviews on the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend sites, so I'm a little wary.....Is there a better option?

ronytomero

Post by ronytomero » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 am

Hey Rbro. I have a brian moore 8.13 and had the gi-20+xv2020 ect. I purchased the gr-55 about a year ago. It is a great unit IMO i think it tracks as good if not better, BUT only with roland gk3 or gk series pickups, My brian moore has been sitting as i permantly fixed the gk3 to my Yamaha rgx a2 and now use the gr-55 exclusively, BUT the gr-55 does have some issues,
1. Slow patch change. I use assigns to deal with this by switching pickups,amps,synths,ect without need for patch change
2.The 1/4"guitar adds a bit of noise to your signal if you want to send your magnetic pickups or guitar/virtual pickup modeling to a external amp
3. no fx loop. But there is a mod you can make to deal with this, just know that the loop only effects nagnetic pickups only(you can put your fav stomp in the loop for your magnetic tones but this does not apply to your modeled or alt tuning stuff
you can check vguitar forums for lots of great help with all issues.

So all in all i do really enjoy my gr-55 you just have to use it for it's strengths

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:38 pm

ronytomero wrote:Hey Rbro. I have a brian moore 8.13 and had the gi-20+xv2020 ect. I purchased the gr-55 about a year ago. It is a great unit IMO i think it tracks as good if not better, BUT only with roland gk3 or gk series pickups, My brian moore has been sitting as i permantly fixed the gk3 to my Yamaha rgx a2 and now use the gr-55 exclusively, BUT the gr-55 does have some issues,
1. Slow patch change. I use assigns to deal with this by switching pickups,amps,synths,ect without need for patch change
2.The 1/4"guitar adds a bit of noise to your signal if you want to send your magnetic pickups or guitar/virtual pickup modeling to a external amp
3. no fx loop. But there is a mod you can make to deal with this, just know that the loop only effects nagnetic pickups only(you can put your fav stomp in the loop for your magnetic tones but this does not apply to your modeled or alt tuning stuff
you can check vguitar forums for lots of great help with all issues.

So all in all i do really enjoy my gr-55 you just have to use it for it's strengths

Thanks. I'm looking at the Fishman Triple Play at this point though. Seems like it may be the best of the bunch.