Change 'Categories' in Live 9 browser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TBonezzz

Change 'Categories' in Live 9 browser?

Post by TBonezzz » Thu May 23, 2013 3:45 am

For instance, say I wanted to add my own drum samples to 'Drums' or my own sound samples to 'Sounds' and delete the ones that came with Suite...can I do that?

Also, what about renaming anything in 'Categories'...is that possible?

Or how about just deleting those sub-folders all together? Say I wanted to delete 'Drums' so it doesn't even show up anymore...is that possible?

TBonezzz

Re: Change 'Categories' in Live 9 browser?

Post by TBonezzz » Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Anybody home? :P

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 pm

SuburbanThug wrote::P
Looks like this may be the only reply I get. :(

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm

TBonezzz wrote:For instance, say I wanted to add my own drum samples to 'Drums' or my own sound samples to 'Sounds' and delete the ones that came with Suite...can I do that?

Or how about just deleting those sub-folders all together? Say I wanted to delete 'Drums' so it doesn't even show up anymore...is that possible?
No.
No.
And... no.

It's all about the user library in 9. There's plenty of information in the forum. Have a look around while you're here.

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 am

SuburbanThug wrote:
TBonezzz wrote:For instance, say I wanted to add my own drum samples to 'Drums' or my own sound samples to 'Sounds' and delete the ones that came with Suite...can I do that?

No.
No.
And... no.
That's a shame.

Thanks. :D

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 am

You can hack the database file to add your own folders...I've never tried it as I still use Live 8, so, I can't tell you how it works or if it will brick your computer.
I'd say search the push section of this forum for more info on it.

Mike

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Fri May 24, 2013 3:27 am

Funk N. Furter wrote: Yes you can get your own stuff to show up in Sounds etc. Create a folder in your User Library with a suitable name and make sure your preset is directly in it. A suitable name is one like Bass, which is in Live's list. Details here
Ableton Live 9 tutorial 3: Browser.
Cool.

Can I also delete the samples that are already there?
Funk N. Furter wrote: Like what? I doubt very much you can rename the actual categories themselves.
Like, rename 'Drums' to Drumzzz or 'Sounds' to Soundzzz.

Not that I would name them that, just an example.
Funk N. Furter wrote: I doubt anyone has even tried. Sounds risky.
Damn.

I'd really love to just delete them. I don't get why they're there in the first place.

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:I really wish I wasn't intrigued by these highly risky ideas of yours 8O
Who wouldn't be? Live 9's browser is kind of shitty. Lol.

Now I just wait until someone does those things because I'm not brave enough to go hacking blindly. I rarely hack unless I'm following step-by-step instructions.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 am

What's the worst case scenario? Having to re-install Live?
Doesn't sound as if anything else could happen, but I don't have more information than you do.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:You can hack that quite easily I expect.
Yeah, that's what I expect as well. As I am going to rebuild my library completely from scratch as soon as my Push arrives, I don't expect many problems. Also if anything goes wrong I won't lose much - hopefully :wink:

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:I dunno, maybe you could corrupt some tunes or the packages, no idea really. I don't even know if it's possible or how you would do it. I did have a nose around, but the only thing I've seen so far is the Virtual Folders file, which is in the Core Library. I only published these so people could know what to name their folders in the User Library so they show in Sounds. You can hack that quite easily I expect.

Like i said earlier, search the push section of this forum. There's a bunch of info on adding and removing virtual folders to the categories section.

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Sat May 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:And so the two intrepid pioneers started their voyage to completely shag up their copies of Live 9...
<This pioneer will wait until the other pioneer figures it out. :P

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Sat May 25, 2013 12:22 pm

nbinder wrote:Yeah, that's what I expect as well. As I am going to rebuild my library completely from scratch as soon as my Push arrives, I don't expect many problems. Also if anything goes wrong I won't lose much - hopefully :wink:
Post here when/if you do it and how you did it. I would love to custom build mine. :D

TBonezzz

Post by TBonezzz » Sat May 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Michael Hatsis wrote:Like i said earlier, search the push section of this forum. There's a bunch of info on adding and removing virtual folders to the categories section.
OK. I'll give it a look.