Why do "packs" take SO LONG to load?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Why do "packs" take SO LONG to load?

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 am

I know, some of you haven't had the issue with losing your packs. Feel lucky. For those of us who have, MOTHER OF GOD, these things have taken so much time to load, and I've now had to do it several times. :x

artpunk

Re: Why do "packs" take SO LONG to load?

Post by artpunk » Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 am

Ummm... Could it possibly be because some of them contain, literally, gigabytes of data?

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 am

i experienced the same.

Loading with my Win7 system took hours,
my MBP setup was way quicker
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm

artpunk wrote:Ummm... Could it possibly be because some of them contain, literally, gigabytes of data?
I've installed Komplete in less time. You could install Windows 8 on 4 machines in less time.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 24, 2013 11:33 pm

artpunk wrote:Ummm... Could it possibly be because some of them contain, literally, gigabytes of data?
Hi artpunk,

I'm talking about ONE pack, not all of them. It literally takes what seems like an eternity for EACH one. That's what I'm referring to, sorry I wasn't clear. I have no issue whatsoever with the combined time taking so long.

Coupled with the facts I've done this now 3 times and live somehow doesn't see them out of the blue is frustrating.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat May 25, 2013 3:20 am

eyeknow wrote:
Hi artpunk,

I'm talking about ONE pack, not all of them. It literally takes what seems like an eternity for EACH one. That's what I'm referring to, sorry I wasn't clear. I have no issue whatsoever with the combined time taking so long.

Coupled with the facts I've done this now 3 times and live somehow doesn't see them out of the blue is frustrating.
Understood. I'm not sure what's happening with your hardware - software set-up but I do know what is like, having to do a clean re-install of Mountain Lion on my Core 2 Duo iMac yesterday. Installing all the packs took a while, but nothing I wouldn't expect given the content size of the packs and existing hardware limitations like data transfer rates. I am really in the dark as to why your copy of Live doesn't see/recognise them? When I do aninstall pack the pack appears in the browser and it's info come up as soon as the installation is complete.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 am

I just think that even they low-impact packs take forever.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat May 25, 2013 6:52 am

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the bandwidth they have in Germany versus the bandwidth you're used to...

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 am

eyeknow wrote:I just think that even they low-impact packs take forever.
The smaller packs load quite quickly on my old iMac...
SuburbanThug wrote:I'm pretty sure it has to do with the bandwidth they have in Germany versus the bandwidth you're used to...
...are we talking about downloading the packs or installing them into Live from a downloaded .alp file?

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat May 25, 2013 8:45 am

Oh, shit. I assumed he meant downloading since mine load quick as hell. That's weird. Our specs seem pretty close. Only difference is I'm on a Mac. Score one for Apple! Don't get many of those nowadays...

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sat May 25, 2013 9:41 am

Both downloading (up to 12MB/sec) as well as installing packs was pretty fast for me. However, both my internet connection as well as drive (SSD) are better than average, I guess.

But: When installing packs, neither my CPU nor the hard drive were anywhere near peak performance. I was really wondering what Live is doing (extracting -> CPU, copying -> HD), especially because Live always got to ~40% super fast but then stayed there for quite a while.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow. That's interesting.

I'm talking about installing, yes. I'm not worried about dl'ing (though I wish there were updates listed in you user account when a pack is updated)

Well, load times are snappy for me even with a template load and others are complaining about that so yeah, par for the course. Bad for some, good for others. :lol:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've always just drag/droped the pack on the browser to install.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Defragging could help speed things up perhaps but then again, some of the packs have a lot of stuff to put into place (lots of smaller files = takes time to put them into place, same for large files). But I don't recall having packs take a *super* long time to install. Again, a defrag could help speed things up a tad, could also depend on processor speed/memory total (4gb/8gb/16gb).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 am

eyeknow wrote: Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've always just drag/droped the pack on the browser to install.
I have always installed packs by File -> Install Pack, but I'm nit sure why this should be any different from drag & drop. Since I cleared a lot of junk off my hard drive I have noticed things are a bit snappier (my hard drive was pretty full)

diaseis

Post by diaseis » Thu May 12, 2022 2:28 pm

I'm reviving this post because I have the same problem in 2022. Installing the packs on Windows is painfully slow. I can basically download a 3GB pack in about 10 seconds, and then it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to install. I really think there's a problem. Maybe it's because of the unzip functionnaliyty of windows which is slow as hell. I always use 7zip if I want to unzip something as the windows version is almost unusable.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my hardware dies not cause this,( everything runs fast on my computer). Also I still haven't upgraded to Live 11. Has this been dealt with ?

Have a good day/night !
Ableton Live 10 64bits, Push 2, Windows 10