Page 1 of 1

MOTU 828 MK3 + XLR OUTPUTS

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:48 am
by *Clara_Venice*
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a solution to what I think is a fairly common issue with the MOTU 828 mk3 in case anyone else was having the same problem as me.

I wanted to go out using the Main XLR Outputs and couldn't figure out how to get Ableton to recognize them. The solution is simple:

1. Go to MOTU Audio Setup (if you don't have this installed you can download it from their site or the CD that comes with the soundcard) and select for the Main Out Assign Main Outs 1 & 2.

2. In Live, go to Preferences --> Audio --> And make sure the MOTU is selected. Then configure the outputs for 9 and 10!!! Those correspond to the XLRs.

Hope that can help someone, it was super frustrating for me.

c!

Re: MOTU 828 MK3 + XLR OUTPUTS

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:05 am
by nbinder
Yeah, took me some time to figure that out when I got the mk2 years ago (for which the procedure is the same).

Unfortunately, both Live9 and the MOTU config utility forget all settings after each reboot. I think I have even seen a post about that issue. Does anybody have the same problem or even a solution? :|

Even worse: There seems to be another bug in Live9: I have to select my MOTU interface every time I open Live again, enable output 7&8 (for the mk2 XLR/Main is 7&8, not 9&10). But even after that, it does not work. I have to switch back to onboard audio and then *again* to the MOTU. Then, finally..... :roll: :?

Re: MOTU 828 MK3 + XLR OUTPUTS

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm
by mots
nbinder wrote:Yeah, took me some time to figure that out when I got the mk2 years ago (for which the procedure is the same).

Unfortunately, both Live9 and the MOTU config utility forget all settings after each reboot. I think I have even seen a post about that issue. Does anybody have the same problem or even a solution? :|

Even worse: There seems to be another bug in Live9: I have to select my MOTU interface every time I open Live again, enable output 7&8 (for the mk2 XLR/Main is 7&8, not 9&10). But even after that, it does not work. I have to switch back to onboard audio and then *again* to the MOTU. Then, finally..... :roll: :?
it's true motu track numbering is far from intuitive and live not supporting input/output naming in OSX does not help for sure.

one thing that helps though : writing on a piece of paper who's who ! old technology still applies :)

note: everything is explained in the manual of the motu, what is assigned to what depending on the current config (adat etc)

Re: MOTU 828 MK3 + XLR OUTPUTS

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 am
by nbinder
The track numbers are ok and not part of the problem I am describing. The issue is that
a) Live 9 forgets the input/output configuration after each reboot (which in/outs are enabled)
b) Live cannot play any sound until I switch to the MOTU interface, back to onboard audio and then back to the MOTU.
Don't know who's to blame here (MOTU or Ableton). All I can tell is that this is what I need to do after each reboot.