"..could not be read, it may be corrupt or not licensed"

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Stromkraft

Re: "..could not be read, it may be corrupt or not licensed"

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm

rnb0 wrote: The only small problem is that their page showing comparisons of versions says it can do it - ie. the product is capable. People tend to make decisions about buying a product based on what the manufacturer says it can do.
That market speak is what I call "bulls*** hype" and I never believed it. My view is based on the reality of in-depth knowledge of professional video production and Live. My suggested method of using reference video and then export audio to a real editor is what gives you the least pain, I think. Of course I also encourage people to experiment.
Make some music!

Ftaff

Post by Ftaff » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Nobody cares about your recommendations. There is product which you paid for, which described to be able to handle video files. How it's done - irrelevant. it should be able to serve at least as a reference video player on same time grid as your sounds. nobody asks it to be a full worthy video editor. As for now it isn't even there. I'm using Ableton for more than 10 years and know the platform inside out and can tell you for sure - that's where Live's user was ripped off.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Ftaff wrote:Nobody cares about your recommendations. There is product which you paid for, which described to be able to handle video files. How it's done - irrelevant. it should be able to serve at least as a reference video player on same time grid as your sounds. nobody asks it to be a full worthy video editor. As for now it isn't even there. I'm using Ableton for more than 10 years and know the platform inside out and can tell you for sure - that's where Live's user was ripped off.
Uses Live for 10+ years.... Registers an account today to post a reply to a thread that died 1 year ago.

Fair enough.

Rodofhot

Post by Rodofhot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:06 pm

21.1 Importing Video
Live can import movies in Apple QuickTime format (.mov) to be used as video clips. Movie files
appear in Live’s browser and can be imported by dragging them into the Live Set.

The above is a quote from the Ableton Live manual so the comments about well... excuse, excuse, excuse why Ableton shouldn't have to do this are moot. The details of the codec are not defined other than a general "Apple QuickTime format (.mov)" so what does that mean exactly? Apparently someone at Ableton has it working and the details of the format for the codec used (.mov) exist they just haven't adequately defined them.

I'm using Blender to convert a video and render as a Quicktime .mov and guess what no matter what Quicktime codec settings I use the same error pops up. Fix please Ableton. It would just take one good programmer to hack that Apple license code ;)

Rodofhot

Post by Rodofhot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:08 pm

Settings, settings, settings...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:54 pm

These might need to be updated soon. Check out the top feature in the current beta:

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-10-beta/
On Mac, Live now uses AVFoundation instead of QTKit / QuickTime for MP3 decoding, video playback and video export. The MP3 experience should be unchanged. Video playback and exporting is now much faster. Some videos using old formats can no longer be played back. For a list of formats that are no longer supported see https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209000 (Note: this article is about FinalCut, but applies to Live's video support as well). While running macOS Mojave (10.14) or earlier, such videos can be converted into a supported format by opening them in QuickTime Player (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202884 for more information).

Rodofhot

Post by Rodofhot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks Potter and Hoffman the links will hopefully help. I'll have to give video another try although I still believe a more "automatic" interface could be implemented maybe by including the codecs with the Live suite itself instead of having to go to a third party to get the first party going ;) You know how we want to protect our DAW's from those creepy crawly bugs. Settings, settings, settings...

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:57 pm

I have the same problem with ADUIO files (mp3). The files which I was able previously drag and drop into Live do not work anymore causing the same error. Even when I only click on the file (in order to reharse it) I get the same error. I'm struggling with this for 2 months already and have found no solution.
Rurning Live 10/64, Win10/64. I tried install CODECs, QuickTime etc. and all other suggestions from Ableton site. No fix.

Art
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu