Does the DSI Tetra work well in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BarryFell

Does the DSI Tetra work well in Live?

Post by BarryFell » Wed May 29, 2013 2:50 pm

I've got my eye on a DSI Tetra but i'm hearing mixed reports about how buggy it is when using the Soundtower VST editor for it in a DAW.

Can anyone with a DSI Tetra, the editor and Live confirm what the current situation is please?

3dot...

Re: Does the DSI Tetra work well in Live?

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm

soundtower software is pure crap...

depends on your workflow with the synth..
Live does not support MIDI NRPN / Sysex messages (directly)...
which could be a problem if you want total automation control of the synth
however.. there are highly cumbersome workarounds..
sending MIDI notes and syncing to clock work fine..

while the situation is not ideal..
it's workable.

(btw I use 2 Evolver synths .. not Tetra)

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I tend to use a max for live patch someone made to control my tetra and it works fine.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Zubben wrote:I tend to use a max for live patch someone made to control my tetra and it works fine.
mac / pc ?
are you able to access ALL synth parameters?
or just the ones with MIDI CC?
(this is the case with the Evolver on PC)

BarryFell

Post by BarryFell » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

3dot... wrote:
Zubben wrote:I tend to use a max for live patch someone made to control my tetra and it works fine.
mac / pc ?
are you able to access ALL synth parameters?
or just the ones with MIDI CC?
(this is the case with the Evolver on PC)
I just found it: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=585

Interesting.

Maybe that would be enough for me automation wise.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 pm

The only quarrel I have with the Tetra is that I can't figure out how to get all four oscillators to sound the same. It seems like a volume thing. I try to balance it with the voice balance controls at the end of the global menu but it doesn't seem to quite do it :cry:

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Wed May 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I am pretty sure some parameters might be missing, but for my needs it is fine, I also use the editor sometimes, I don't really automate a lot of stuff (probably just filters, envelopes, etc...) when I am done designing my sound, so the max for live template is enough or even just using the correct CC messages for each parameter works for me at least.

there is plenty of them, this is the one I use: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... controller

about the voices I am not sure what can be the problem, I am not near my tetra now but my 4 oscillators sound the same, I am using it in mono though so not sure if it makes a difference.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Zubben wrote:I am pretty sure some parameters might be missing, but for my needs it is fine, I also use the editor sometimes, I don't really automate a lot of stuff (probably just filters, envelopes, etc...) when I am done designing my sound, so the max for live template is enough or even just using the correct CC messages for each parameter works for me at least.

there is plenty of them, this is the one I use: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... controller

about the voices I am not sure what can be the problem, I am not near my tetra now but my 4 oscillators sound the same, I am using it in mono though so not sure if it makes a difference.
Yea I'm in mono as well. Hmmmm, now that I think of it I think I'm using the headphone jack out to my soundcard. Maybe I should use the left channel..

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I use the Left output, I can check how is my global settings setup later if you still are having issues with the oscillators.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Zubben wrote:I use the Left output, I can check how is my global settings setup later if you still are having issues with the oscillators.
Cool, thanks!

adh82

Post by adh82 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 am

I use it with the max4live controller and its great!
I even whenu in and edited the max device so all paramaters an in a logical order on the push!
So now I don't even need to touch the tetra, just to turn it on.
Everything is done with the push!

BarryFell

Post by BarryFell » Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 am

Zubben wrote:I am pretty sure some parameters might be missing, but for my needs it is fine, I also use the editor sometimes, I don't really automate a lot of stuff (probably just filters, envelopes, etc...) when I am done designing my sound, so the max for live template is enough or even just using the correct CC messages for each parameter works for me at least.

Is there any way to get the M4L Tetra controller to recall patches with projects?

If not, how do you currently save Tetra patches if not using any other editor software? I don't want to have to save patches directly to the hardware.

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Thu May 30, 2013 10:25 pm

BarryFell wrote:

Is there any way to get the M4L Tetra controller to recall patches with projects?

If not, how do you currently save Tetra patches if not using any other editor software? I don't want to have to save patches directly to the hardware.
I just save it on the hardware, I don't really enjoy using presets anyway so I just replace them :) I guess to save them somewhere else you probably need the editor. I don't think you can recall with the max for live controller.

One thing that I found saves some time, was to reasign the 4 knobs to parameters that you normally use while editing, like osc 1 and osc 2 waveform, I also have tuning osc2 and osc sync in there, but I guess for some people other parameters might be more interesting. This way I always have like a main template to start from (which is just a sawtooth).
Having some good assignments on those four extra knobs is also useful for using the tetra live.

BarryFell

Post by BarryFell » Fri May 31, 2013 7:14 am

This sounds far too disruptive to my workflow.

I'll get a Sub Phatty instead.

Thanks for the info.

Zubben

Post by Zubben » Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm

good choice! :)
if you are just going for a monophonic synth.