How much noise from an external synth is too much

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by re:dream » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Digging around in me old Virus these days. Noticing a fair bit of noise in the system.

If the Virus is completely quiet, and I call up Spectrum, I notice that it sees a noise floor at about -125 db.

I don't know if that is too much or normal. I do recognize that one will always have noise. But I do think I hear a hiss in the Virus. Very noticeable if I put a gate in with a low threshold.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 29, 2013 11:53 pm

play some shit in a track and turn that shit up.
put some shit in another track and turn that shit down.
close your eyes and turn the soft shit up until you can hear it. what level is that shit at?

try this with different shit.

below -80dB I don't care about that shit. above -60dB that's shit I don't like.

sometimes that kind of shit can add shit like 'warmth' or 'vintage' or 'air' and other annoying shit people use to describe this shit.

you got ears, use that shit.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

aioffermann
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by aioffermann » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:play some shit in a track and turn that shit up.
put some shit in another track and turn that shit down.
close your eyes and turn the soft shit up until you can hear it. what level is that shit at?

try this with different shit.

below -80dB I don't care about that shit. above -60dB that's shit I don't like.

sometimes that kind of shit can add shit like 'warmth' or 'vintage' or 'air' and other annoying shit people use to describe this shit.

you got ears, use that shit.
8O

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by re:dream » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 am

:)

Gotcha. It was actually bothersome last night. It's not particularly noticeable when you've got big fat gnarly sounds going, but I was trying to record some very delicate sounds last night & the hiss was quite intrusive.

pgmjsd
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:46 pm

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by pgmjsd » Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 am

The Finn wrote::)

Gotcha. It was actually bothersome last night. It's not particularly noticeable when you've got big fat gnarly sounds going, but I was trying to record some very delicate sounds last night & the hiss was quite intrusive.
-125db noise should not be noticeable if you are recording at a decent level. Are you sure your gain staging is set up correctly?

I wish my external gear was that quiet.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 am

pgmjsd wrote:
The Finn wrote::)

Gotcha. It was actually bothersome last night. It's not particularly noticeable when you've got big fat gnarly sounds going, but I was trying to record some very delicate sounds last night & the hiss was quite intrusive.
-125db noise should not be noticeable if you are recording at a decent level. Are you sure your gain staging is set up correctly?

I wish my external gear was that quiet.
the noise floor of a bedroom studio is -90dB at best.

-125dB? nobody on the planet would notice that.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: How much noise from an external synth is too much

Post by re:dream » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

Well, I could hear it clearly. A hum with a clear 50 hz peak that was clearly audible.

Maybe I was reading the Spectrum wrongly :roll:

Anyway, gain staging sounds like something I need to learn about. 8O

At the moment I am just recording in through an External instrument, and because the signal is so soft adding about 6 db of amplitude through the External Instrument itself.

I tried quieting the hiss with a gate, but the hiss is still audible when the sound cuts through the threshold.

Post Reply