Melodyne crashes...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
golemus

Melodyne crashes...?

Post by golemus » Fri May 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey do you have experience of even latest Melodyne plugin versions crashing in live..?

It seems that this is a common problem or at least used to be. I have now Melodyne 2.1.0, is there anything I can do about this..? Live version is 8.4 32-bit.

patekswiss

Re: Melodyne crashes...?

Post by patekswiss » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Not completely sure what version of Melodyne you are using, but if you are using Melodyne Plugin (which is now discontinued), my experience was that this was particularly liable to crash Ableton if you used more than 1 instance. As a result, I religiously avoided using more than 1 instance, and if I needed to pitch correct a second track, I'd be forced to finalize the first one and render it to audio (or at least freeze the track) before introducing a second instance of Melodyne.

I have since cross graded to Melodyne Editor and I find that it is much more stable in both Live 8 and 9, even in 32 bit mode. I can have multiple instances and, since Editor is polyphonic, I can now avoid multiple instances in some cases as you can create harmony vocals from an original melody line with a single instance of Melodyne Editor. (Although this latter procedure is still a bit kludgey and I tend to keep harmony vocals on different tracks with new instances of Melodyne Editor rather than try to do it all in one).

This track was done using these techniques with Melodyne Editor:

https://soundcloud.com/wankwinkel/just-what-i-needed

Hope this helps.