mastering plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
freshdrumma

Re: mastering plugins

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 am

in mastering it's better to go for the clean/transparent route, once on a while you need "that sound" tracks can give, but as a general rule it's better to stay clean and just "improve" the sound the mix already have. there are a lot of options to get a dirty/coloured sound, you can just add something from slate digital or uad to the chain later, so if you just have the money for one all included plugin go for ozone. my opinion

Btw i don't like waves L1 or L2 too, yes they make things loud but totally destroy the sound.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

freshdrumma wrote:
Btw i don't like waves L1 or L2 too, yes they make things loud but totally destroy the sound.

Somehow, I tend to agree about L2. I am still tweaking around with it (after a few years) to see if I can find a balance between the two: loudness and quality.

I think probably my best mixes were done using ozone.
fe real!

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:45 am

to L2 disclaim it's also true that i and probably everybody push it far more than we should....

evon

Post by evon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Just took a quick look (and listen) to both Compassion and FF Pro-L. Really top of the line stuff! Looking forward to using them more hopefully in a few months time when I expect to start setting up my first dedicated music room.
fe real!

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 am

fabfilter pro Ds it's amazing too, dessing very useful in mastering and that's a top dS!