External Instrument device - Audio from issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cameron87

External Instrument device - Audio from issue

Post by cameron87 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 am

Hi,

I'm experiencing a little problem using Ableton's External Instrument device in a drum rack.

So, I've set up Ableton's external instrument device in a drum rack and am sending midi to different VSTs using this (Microtonic/BFD2). I've noticed that in the "Audio From" drop down box I am unable to select audio from the 1st output. E.g. with microtonic, I can get audio from outputs 2-8 but not from output one sent back into the drum rack. The only way I can hear audio from output 1 is to have it go through the track which microtonic is placed on - not what I want given I'd like to apply the same processing to all microtonic outputs inside the drum rack.

Please note that this seems to be the case with other softsynths I've tried as well. Doesn't look to be a microtonic problem.

Is this an error in Ableton? Seems a bit odd that the 1st output of a VST can't be sent back into the drum rack. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Cameron

cameron87

Re: External Instrument device - Audio from issue

Post by cameron87 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:51 am

Perhaps a picture might help. If you look at the dropdown box in the External instrument device, you'll see that only outputs 2-8 can be routed back to the drum rack. Is this the way it should be? Unless I'm missing something, it would make sense to have the option to route all the outputs back to the drum rack. Can anybody comment on this?

rinkybink

Post by rinkybink » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 am

Hmmm...I'm on a Mac and the same thing happens to me with either a VST or AU version of BFD2. I also tried it in Live 8 with the same results for both formats.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

cameron87

Post by cameron87 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks for verifying - I also had the issue with BFD2 as well. Bit strange this one. Just makes it difficult when you need that first output back in the drumrack.

Can anyone from Ableton weigh in on this? Or is there a better place I should submit potential bugs/odd things.

Cheers,
Cameron

cameron87

Post by cameron87 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 am

Ok, I think I understand the thinking on Ableton's part here - thought I'd post just in case anyone had the same question. Instead of putting your softsynth VST on separate track to the drum rack you should instead insert it into the drum rack. You can use the external device to route other midi notes into the softsynth inside the drum rack. This way output 1 comes from the softsynth in the drum rack and all other outputs come from the external instrument devices (also in the drum rack).

Hope this helps someone!

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi,

here is a video from Magnus Lidström with Microtonic in Ableton and a download link to a drum rack especially for Microtonic.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=808ZKTk3r-o

Download Drumrack: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6reksb

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 am

The rack is clever in that it only uses a single instance of Microtonic -- great so far! Right, but since we have Push now -- the question:

Is it ever possible to automatically map each drum channel parameters (for each chain that is), such as: EQ Freq, EQ Gain, Distort, OSC Freq, OSC Attack, OSC Release, etc. when appropriate pad is pressed on Push? E.g. when on Push I press the pad # 4, device parameters are automatically mapped to the 4th drum channel on the Microtonic. When I hit another drum pad, device parameters are remapped to that particular drum channel parameters? I guess this cannot be done without M4L? Are there any M4L enthusiasts willing to make a Microtonic drum rack fully controllable from Push (eg device parameters per drum)?

There's a solution where one could create an Instrument Rack and load 8 instances of Microtonic, but this is heavy and very inconvenient, especially for bigger projects.

Awaiting for feedback!

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/