Is it normal if...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Is it normal if...

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Converting back to wav can create spikes that can clip, I've seen that before. Just one of the downsides of using MP3s I guess.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:50 pm

So when I import a 320 into a project, Ableton turns this into a WAV and then messes with it, plus the warping and EQ3 mess with it too?

???

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm

The conversion peak levels problem has nothing to do with Live specifically. An mp3/wav or wav/mp3 conversion will often change some of the peaks, no matter what software you use. Some handle it better than others.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the input so far guys, but I'm still feeling a little lost :(

It seems that complex pro is generally the way to go for whole tracks, but this adds a few peaks to the track. It also has been known to dampen the highs according to a couple of threads I saw (but not very much according to my testing).
Therefore bringing the volume down on the clip can solve this. Same for EQ 3, although it seems to impact it less.
Question: I will test tomorrow when I am home, but does this compensation above reduce the overall perceived volume / RMS of the track somehow? The reason I ask is because the perceived volume doesn't appear to be any different before and after turning on warping (even though it's definitely peaking higher with it on) - therefore is the reduction required to tame these, significantly impacting how loud the tracks will sound? Is it worth reducing the clip volume a little less but putting a limiter (like the Waves L2) on the master just to tame those peaks a bit?
Your experience / wisdom is welcomed!

Also, I've been searching but can't find and answer to what Live does specifically to a 320 mp3 when imported and if this also degrades quality (to any significance). So far I believe it converts it to a WAV and holds this in the HD? Does this means that there's zero point in buying MP3s when dealing with Live as a Dj tool as it's just going to convert it into a WAV anyway and store it in the project folder, so you now have 2 files (especially when you have a small SSD and space is an issue!). The reason I have been buying MP3s is to save space, but if my assumption above is correct then I've been doing the opposite to saving space and should have been buying WAV all along!

Big thanks from an Ableton DJ noobie.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 pm

If you're DJing with these tracks, there's no need to clip at all in Live, just turn up the volume later in the chain. Like at the DJ mixer, or house mixer you're plugging into.

Yes, Live decodes and stores all MP3 and FLAC files as WAV files in the decoding cache, so you're right that this actually takes up MORE space in the long run. Far better and more reliable to just use wavs in the first place.

www.abletonlivedj.com has a lot more info too.