Best Software Instrument for Synth? (Passion Pit, St. Lucia)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
griffinryan11

Best Software Instrument for Synth? (Passion Pit, St. Lucia)

Post by griffinryan11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 am

I am looking for a certain sound, like the synth leads Passion Pit loves to use (The Reeling), with easy variables to control. LFO, modulation, etc... Im going to be using Ableton like an instrument in a Indie Synth Pop-like band, and don't know what software instrument to get for this. I have the Standard Version of Live 9, and would like to stray from third-party vsts, and was thinking along the lines of purchasing Analog or Operator. Which one would be the best choice? I want to be able to manipulate LFO on the fly with my MIDI Controller, using the pitch bend wheel or something. I was thinking a kind of sound like the leads in Little Secrets, Take A Walk, Carried Away, etc... So, which software instrument should I go with?

Thanks! :3

Theo Void

Re: Best Software Instrument for Synth? (Passion Pit, St. Lucia)

Post by Theo Void » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:07 am

I prefer Operator and it's definitely much more powerful and flexible than Analog. Analog is just a basic subtractive synth w/ some modulation abilities. Operator is quite amazing if you learn how to use it well. Tons of modulation, MIDI control, FM, subtractive, LFO's etc. If you're choosing between those definitely go w/ Operator. Sampler is pretty awesome too. It's basically a synth that uses samples instead of waveforms.

The 3rd party realm is another story. There are endless possibilities.

freqn

Post by freqn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 am

Operator

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 am

u-he Zebra
Operator is good though just not as versatile or supported.

Operator is a subtractive analogue / FM hybrid synth simpler to use get faster results.
Zebra is a modular synth allowing you to do any type of sound.

If you get Zebra you will see far more expansions and updates to it than any built in instrument. It's the most versatile synth there is that's why Hans Zimmer used it for the Bat Man movies.

In a month or two Zebra HZ gets an analogue Oberheim filter :0 Two major upgrades in a year isn't bad.

Operator vs Zebra topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164865

I might be tempted to get Operator and run it through Cytomic The Drop filter to give it some extra character.