Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TYLRbass

Re: Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 pm

9.0.4 and I still have to sit and wait for the beach balls to disappear before I can start working every time I open Live.
I haven't investigated but I'm almost positive this has to do with indexing.. not a huge deal in the studio, but if I ever want to use Live 9 in a live setting (aka setting up in a dark club 5 minutes before I need to be pumping audio out of my rig) then I feel like that is going to annoy the shit out of me.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

H20nly wrote: spoken like someone who ALMOST knows what they're talking about...
Keep your assumptions and judgements to yourself. As one of the few people who usually gets what Blendton is saying I made a joke. Seems like there's so many contrarians on this forum sometimes. Get over yourself.

I don't condone the use of any drugs not prescribed by a doctor but I also don't judge people on their preferences when consuming illegal drugs. Now you know.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 pm

^ :roll: a fucking detailed diatribe complete with the order and re-order of when to introduce various chemicals into your mind and you tell me to keep my judgements to myself... :lol: my point was; how are you going to judge heroin and crack after a spiel like that..?

SuburbanThug wrote:there's so many contrarians
SuburbanThug wrote:Keep your assumptions and judgements...
uh huh.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 pm

SIGH.

You misunderstood the joke. In fact I think you are still failing to see that it is a joke. I never judged anyone for using heroin or crack. These are merely instructions for the drugs you must do in order to understand Blendton (as a joke. I don't require any drugs to understand him except for maybe caffeine.) Since crack and heroin are not required there is no reason to do them. Hence, "don't do crack, don't do heroin." You can smoke all the crack you want H2Only and I'll still love you. Keep being a dick though and we're going to have a talk.

I hope you get the joke now and aren't offended by it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:I hope you get the joke
H20nly wrote:i always get a tiny internal chuckle at the heroin and crack disclaimer from people who can break down a list of illicit drugs (that they've tried)
chuckle <- and there it is.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 pm

There is no heroin and crack disclaimer. You're laughing because you are a moron.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 pm

ok you win the internet. fuck dude, start a Lounge thread about it.

:arrow:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for more of the typical bullshit...

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 am

lol...

About MPH, Ritalin, I mentionned in fact what I'm asked despite prescrbing methyphenidate to adults is strictly illegal here, I'm the exception though since the state itself gives me abd asks for my real LEGAL 160mg of insufflated MPH to manage some ... personal things. Too hard to explain but my 155 to average between 145min and 170max once IQ is problematic and I really suffer from neurological ADHD specific flavor aka the intelligent/gifted one in few words my reaction to snorting 80mg of MPH is officialy known here as therapeutic and help to manage the painful "gifted for life but won't never do anything complete" versus " brilliant and helpful man succeedin in every domain he's implied.

Just don't forget my "job" is mental care plus rea & emergency nurse + ambulance urgence and on the field nursing ie like first care on a car accident case ------ please if not able to fbd out my writings points at least trust I'm and would like not as much, far so far TOO FAR from being a moron or unstable pointless minded guy posting for spending time.

Really, and not "high" and never do drugs for years, my Ritalin is in my case even not a drug abusing even can't do to me what it would to "normal" / adhd combined I+Imp child or adult / you.

Like insulin to diabetc people, I need it and did't want to provoke digressions about doing drugs, don't do them or with extreme precautions and reason.

Thanks and regards to all. Sorry for being hard to read or having that habit to hide or "play" with posting like i I wanted to seem insane, SuburbanThug is right when saying he understands what I say meaning in fact there always is a point and something I share to people able and therefore receptive to the thing I share which can be tech, metaphysical, joke, topic extension attempt, emotional state expression, whatever.

Cheers
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 am

If you don't like it here you can go to one of the 150 other threads complaining about the state of the browser! And it would help if you could add some emoticons to your post so I can understand whether you are being sarcastic, condescending, or playfully ironic!

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 am

i'm in complete agreement with the original poster and angstrom on this...i've been using live for a long time and the browser is the worst it has ever been.

the indexing is painfully slow. once indexed the library is still slower than using the live 8 browser. i know this because i still use v8 for teaching purposes and it just seems snappier.
i hate that my live performance patches are buried away underneath an extra layer of folders.

i've got to the point where i just use the osx finder for searching and playing through sounds and i've only got a 700gb library. i'd hate to think how it would be with a 2TB library
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 am

I want the actual core operation of a host to be lean and efficient, invoking things like metadata indexing only in cases I actually think I need it. To enforce operations like that has made me gravitate away from "the Ableton way" altogether, at least for the time being.

If someone is using Live seriously/professionally, there's a fair chance that they already have a nice directory structure in place for their raw material, and they know exceedingly well where most of the stuff is located. For example, I have often used Live for creative sound design with layers upon layers of material (in addition to producing music and lengthier atmospheres, think of a "summoned monster disappears as the spell wears out" effect for example :lol:, stuff like that can include various forms of synthesis and layered sample manipulation to get to an interesting and polished end result). I audition loads of recorded material, import appropriate bits into Sampler, mangle them, rack them, save those, etc. etc...

Why would someone force an unneeded overhead upon the auditioning workflow, as an actual design decision, is beyond me. I understand it's good to have indexing functionality, but it's extremely beneficial to be able to browse/audition stuff directly from the file system, too. Seriously, go back a few years and even having to point that out would be looked upon as satire, it's just so absurd.

Give standard access to anywhere in the file system with no forced indexing of any user files that the user doesn't specifically feel the need to index. Accessing the OS file system efficiently and reliably should be the most rudimentary thing any file browser in any serious software package does.

"Use a 3rd party application / finder / explorer / file manager..." I do that often. Auditioning rhythmic material isn't conveniently integrated into the host anymore, then. It isn't launched in sync and automatically in the correct tempo, for example. "Just index that kind of stuff then?" But again, why should there be a need to do it in the first place? Works great in Live 8 without a ghastly extra overhead lurking beneath the surface. (There's something to be said about plugging in a HD with fresh recordings or collaboration material on it, and being able to browse into it and instantly audition/import material without having to go through a completely redundant indexing pass, too.)

Add to that the extra layer of abstraction and having to worry about when the indexing itself goes haywire. Further, the points Angstrom has brought up: even browsing the indexed material doesn't empower the user to work with the metadata as he/she wants, but instead, it can only be done in one rigid way.

Yeah, I probably didn't say anything that hasn't been said x100 already, but I just needed to vent. Meh.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 am

"Use a 3rd party application / finder / explorer / file manager..." I do that often. Auditioning rhythmic material isn't conveniently integrated into the host anymore, then. It isn't launched in sync and automatically in the correct tempo, for example. "Just index that kind of stuff then?" But again, why should there be a need to do it in the first place? Works great in Live 8 without a ghastly extra overhead lurking beneath the surface. (There's something to be said about plugging in a HD with fresh recordings or collaboration material on it, and being able to browse into it and instantly audition/import material without having to go through a completely redundant indexing pass, too.)
My exact reasons for being aggravated with the new way...