Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 am

I don't have any idea what is/isn't on topic anymore but I hate the browser too (if anyone is actually saying that, which is unclear)

su

Post by su » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:45 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:You mean like bookmarks?
No. On windows you can create shortcuts to files, folders and web sites among other things. The old browser could access shortcuts to files rather than files themselves. Shortcuts are created in windows file browser.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:49 am

su wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:You mean like bookmarks?
No. On windows you can create shortcuts to files, folders and web sites among other things. The old browser could access shortcuts to files rather than files themselves. Shortcuts are created in windows file browser.
Right, this used to be nice to keep everything easily organized, used to just have a shortcut to all the Geist samples inside my drum samples dir which made it easy to jump to them. There is a workaround, junctions/symlinks but you have to use the cmdline mklink utility or find a gui utility to do it. (not sure if you need a /D or /J, but I used a junction for mine and it works. Something about how one is determined server side, the other client side, blah blah blah)

mklink /J name_of_link_in_lib_location original_direction_location

su

Post by su » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:Ah, that's interesting. On a Mac they're called Aliases, and you can put them into the Live 9 browser. However when you right click on one in the Browser and select 'show in Finder' it takes you to the original file/location. Does that count?
Sure that would be good. With the old browser, shortcuts to windows folders functioned just like folders themselves. So double clicking would take you to the folder. That would be best IMO. Can't even see shortcuts to folders in the L9 browser unfortunately on Windows. Glad it works (somewhat) on Macs.

andresnol

Post by andresnol » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm

+1 for Angstrom

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 pm

I think the issue with shortcuts is again down to their database. They dont want to index things that are only referenced by a shortcut and instead need an actual folder, or something that would appear as an actual folder like a symlink/junction.

Live9 itself still obviously supports shortcuts since you can still organize your vst folder using shortcuts, thank god since that is still an awesome feature. So obviously it is only when it comes to sounds that the shortcuts are a limitation

su

Post by su » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:So obviously it is only when it comes to sounds that the shortcuts are a limitation
It affects anything you might store in the User Library - samples, projects, presets, etc. On Windows, the browser doesn't recognize a shortcut in any folder under User Library

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:54 pm

scientist wrote:
UCAudio wrote:I use a large collection of multisampled kontakt instruments... not as much as the OP but probably 1 to 2 TB worth. Does this mean Live 9 will be pretty much unusable for me? A lot of film/tv/video game composers use very large multisampled libraries... does this mean Live 9 can't be used for scoring because of the new browser? 20 minutes to search for and load 1 instrument sounds insane.
it depends on how your library is organized. if your kontakt libraries are mixed in with other samples that need to be accessed directly from live (via indexing), you're in trouble. but if your kontakt libraries are in a separate location, just make sure to not index that location and you'll be fine.

i'm in 100% agreement with angstrom on this entire thing. the live browser is a complete mess.
What if I want to be able to search the L9 library for "bass" and have it pull up my Kontakt instrument bass presets... is there a way to do that without indexing the actual wav files used by the Kontakt patch?

What if I have a bunch of presets made so that I can use Macros mapped to stuff in my Kontakt instruments... again is there a way to do that without indexing the thousands of samples used by that particular Kontakt instrument?

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:01 pm

su wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:So obviously it is only when it comes to sounds that the shortcuts are a limitation
It affects anything you might store in the User Library - samples, projects, presets, etc. On Windows, the browser doesn't recognize a shortcut in any folder under User Library
yea meant sounds in the general sense of audio files, presets, whatever. Just wanted to show that at least part of the application still respects shortcuts while the new portion (the database) does not

su

Post by su » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:33 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:yea meant sounds in the general sense of audio files, presets, whatever. Just wanted to show that at least part of the application still respects shortcuts while the new portion (the database) does not
I meant to say earlier that I'm totally with you on using shortcuts in the vst folder. That was a happy day when I discovered you could do that. Plugin management is such a pain in some other daws that there are 3rd party apps to do the job. Also agree that it's telling that shortcuts are ok for vst folder but not ok in browser.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

anstahc wrote:What drugs do I have to take to understand even one line of what Blendtron said?
that's what we'd all like to know really :)

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Start off with Ritalin when you're a child, smoke some pot later down the line, drop acid a couple years after that, start doing ecstasy weekly, add mushrooms to the mix, continue smoking pot, one night on acid add some nitrous to the mix, a week after that do mushrooms and acid together (wheeeee), do a little ketamine but don't overdo it, make sure there is some speed in your ecstasy tabs, couple years later bump a little cocaine into the mix, pick up drinking, more hallucinogens, more stronger pot, even more more stronger pot, more mushrooms, do some DMT preferably with an MAOI inhibitor, more acid, a smidgeon of morphine and methadone, perhaps oxycontin, some benzodiazapines, don't do heroine, don't do crack, more weed, a little more drinking, maybe some anti-psychotic/convulsants and VOILA. You should be able to read a line or two or at least get the overall gist.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I wondered how you could have a join date of: Wed Apr 03, 2013 and have an incredible 1187 posts.

Now I know :D

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah. Because I quit doing drugs. Now I just troll the internet.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:Start off with Ritalin when you're a child, smoke some pot later down the line, drop acid a couple years after that, start doing ecstasy weekly, add mushrooms to the mix, continue smoking pot, one night on acid add some nitrous to the mix, a week after that do mushrooms and acid together (wheeeee), do a little ketamine but don't overdo it, make sure there is some speed in your ecstasy tabs, couple years later bump a little cocaine into the mix, pick up drinking, more hallucinogens, more stronger pot, even more more stronger pot, more mushrooms, do some DMT preferably with an MAOI inhibitor, more acid, a smidgeon of morphine and methadone, perhaps oxycontin, some benzodiazapines, don't do heroine, don't do crack, more weed, a little more drinking, maybe some anti-psychotic/convulsants and VOILA. You should be able to read a line or two or at least get the overall gist.
spoken like someone who ALMOST knows what they're talking about...
i always get a tiny internal chuckle at the heroin and crack disclaimer from people who can break down a list of illicit drugs (that they've tried) like this... as if either of them are really that much worse than say DMT or 'X with speed in it' :roll: ... it's not the drug its the behavior. doing just about any of it every single day in copious quantities is going to have ill effects. period. smoking crack (which is just cocaine without the cut) for example, doesn't burn any more or less brain than snorting it... smoking crack for days on end, on the other hand, probably will... because of the sheer volume it would take. people get hooked on drugs... drugs just sit there.
None of this will help with Blendton's posts.
keep your graphs.

regarding the OP - i have to add another +1 to Angstrom's database logic - because it is the logical way to use a database. i am not having problems with the browser, but i can recognize that it's ironic that L9's browser is built on SQL yet it cripples its strengths. the least they could have done was built their own shitty database instead of pulling out the wayback machine on a good one.