Cannot record line input with Ableton Live Lite 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jszy

Cannot record line input with Ableton Live Lite 8

Post by jszy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi,

I am using Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 as the audio interface, the front panel is working, but I cant get the line input to work.

Plug my guitar (through a preamp), into line input 5, the mixer software (mixcontrol) detects it, I can hear it loud and clear with the monitor headphone, but Ableton Live does not detect any signal no matter which input I chose. (I am using it on Windows 7 by the way.)

Could anyone tell me what the problem is here? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jszy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regrind

Re: Cannot record line input with Ableton Live Lite 8

Post by Regrind » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm still shedding noob crust, but I'll offer what I know.
I assume you have your interface setup in Lives preferences, yah? I use a Presonus AudioBox but I have to make sure to select the ASIO driver specifically for the AudioBox or I have no output to my Rokits.
Other than your preferences and driver, my only other piece of advice is to do that setup, save as a new set, exit out, and launch Live again. Sometimes rebooting is necessary.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

jszy

Post by jszy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 am

thanks for the reply, tried rebooting, but no luck

I captured the screen, think this picture says it all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h6b936kgb92u61/live.png

no signal on ableton live.....

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:07 am

jszy wrote:I captured the screen, think this picture says it all

Are there any other Focusrite/Scarlett audio drivers when you drop down the choice for Audio Output Device in Live's preferences while you Keep the ASIO setting above?

Or, if there aren't any, try reassigning this one, the exclamation mark wants to tell you something...

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am

I've never had to enter the input config menu. All I ever had to do was setup the driver and device and then setup an audio track and select the input from there.
I dunno. Hope you find a speedy solution.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

jszy

Post by jszy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 am

For ASIO that's the only one i have...
the salesman (from where i bought this) told me the the scarlett 18i8 may be too new for Ableton Live 8... I tried the 9.04 version too, still not working

what are some latest DAW softwares that you guys suggest? maybe a newer software could help...

it's funny how when i plugged in both mic (mic input) and guitar (9line input), i can hear the mic only, from DAW, but not the guitar...

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 pm

jszy wrote:the salesman (from where i bought this) told me the the scarlett 18i8 may be too new for Ableton Live 8...
That's utter bullshit - did he try to sell you another DAW?

The driver defines physical ins and outs to the system and the applications.
it's funny how when i plugged in both mic (mic input) and guitar (9line input), i can hear the mic only, from DAW, but not the guitar...[
Do you hear any output from the DAW at all?

MME/DirectAudio address outs differently from ASIO, so you might be able to listen to a youtube playback, but not Live, Cubase or Reaper, since...

...only after you mentioned the above I noticed that your current Sarlett Mixertab doesn't have any DAW-Out-Channel. You're gonna need at least a DAW 1 and DAW 2 grouped to a stereo channel, because that's what Lives Master Out is supposed to be set to.

jszy

Post by jszy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 pm

chrk wrote: That's utter bullshit - did he try to sell you another DAW?
wow, come to think about it, he actually did....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9bwjulk4fprh76/live2.png

I did hear the mic. well, by grouping DAW 1 and DAW 2, is this what you mean?

think it's clear from the picture that the mic input 3 is detected, but the line input 5 doesnt get to the DAW...

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:32 pm

jszy wrote:I did hear the mic. well, by grouping DAW 1 and DAW 2, is this what you mean?
Roughly, though now you seem to be monitoring directly as well as through the DAW.

think it's clear from the picture that the mic input 3 is detected, but the line input 5 doesnt get to the DAW...
Yes, I can see that, too. The input indicator should flash up. Strum your guitar (only), open the input selector and watch, if any of them is moving.

Plus, you haven't armed the guitar track (CTRL click to arm several tracks at once).

jszy

Post by jszy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:50 pm

no, i got nothing from DAW coming from my guitar input...

would you say it's a hardware problem? or a software problem... I am thinking of going for a refund now...

thanks to both of you for the help :)

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Wait a second.

You're on Live Lite. Isn't there a limitation to two mono inputs? - Your manual should have a comparison chart to the full version/suite somewhere in the back.

You need to activate exactly one input pair in Live.

Try this:
Use Scarlett's input 1 or 3 for the microphone, 2 or 4 for the line in.
For the line in use a TSR jack, don't don't engage the Inst.-setting, if you're using #2. All those Focusrite interfaces take mic level on XLR and line or instrument (switchable) level/impedance on TS or TSR of the Combos. Start with a low gain and work your way up.

Then, in Live's preferences, set your Audio Input Config to 1 (mono) & 2 (mono) or 3 and 4 respectively.

jszy

Post by jszy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:39 pm

ok, i guess i know what you mean, i can record this way if i really want to

yeah there is a limit, one pair of mono inputs
but even if i just try to record the guitar, without the mic, the line input still doesnt work
there's gotta be some problem with this new scarlett 18i8 :(

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:55 pm

jszy wrote:but even if i just try to record the guitar, without the mic, the line input still doesnt work
Have you actually tried that with the other inputs deactivated in Live's preferences?

You might get yourself a copy ofREAPER just for checking the hardware.
Setup and workflow are quite different from Live's, though, but if you happen to like it, after the 30 day trial it's only 60$ for the discounted license for private use.

jszy

Post by jszy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 am

well, i tried Reaper, Adobe Audition, Live 9.04 trial version, same thing man, same thing

kukhar

Post by kukhar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 am

jszy wrote:well, i tried Reaper, Adobe Audition, Live 9.04 trial version, same thing man, same thing
Same problem with Scarlett 18i8 - tried everything. The line inputs show up in the Scarlet Mixer,
and do not show up in Ableton.
Assuming it is the driver (would be difficult to think it's a hardware problem, since the inputs do actually work)...
I wrote Focusrite about this, waiting for the reply.
Problem is... I asked a girl to pick it up from New York for me (ordered from B&H over the phone), and I'm in Russia. Would be a whole huge hassle to return it. She was also stupid enough to throw the box away for her convenience on an airplane : (
Sorry for the lyrical straying away.
If someone gets this resolved, please DO let us know. Many thanks.