64-bit Live, Windows 7 and video, anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

64-bit Live, Windows 7 and video, anyone?

Post by sporkles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

I've followed the instructions on Ableton's site, installing the decoder/demuxer jive, but Live crashes, regardless, when I try to load a video file.

Are there any extra tweaks I need to perform with Haali or FFdshow?

marine289

Re: 64-bit Live, Windows 7 and video, anyone?

Post by marine289 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 am

Same problem here. What has worked for me: load the same project in the 32-bit version of Live 9.
Or you can create a new project (64bit), load the video file, and then go to browser of Live 9, load all the instruments and tracks from the project into the new project. However, for me there would still be random crashes...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

I've completely reinstalled Windows (replacing my hard drive with an SSD), and reinstalled Live, plugins, etc. When I had posted this last night, I stumbled upon this article on QuickTime in Windows 7, which may or may not be outdated.

I un-installed QuickTime and replaced it with this new one. I could now open the video in a NEW project, but not in my old one. So I decided I'd try one more thing, and un- and re-installed Matroska/Haali and FFdshow, and (fingers x-ed!) I could now open the old project, and have video playing back properly - I could even save and re-open! There are quite a few options when installing FFdshow, and I had no clue what to actually make of them, but I did try to change some settings where it seemed remotely relevant.

What I did, though - and this could possibly be very important: I installed the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit one, which I had installed previously. No idea if and why this would matter, but, like I said: it worked last night; I'm just hoping this is the end of all the trouble.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm

sporkles wrote:Has anyone managed to get this to work?
yes

no problems at all here, so it could be a system thing

foetus666

Post by foetus666 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 am

sporkles wrote:I've completely reinstalled Windows (replacing my hard drive with an SSD), and reinstalled Live, plugins, etc. When I had posted this last night, I stumbled upon this article on QuickTime in Windows 7, which may or may not be outdated.

I un-installed QuickTime and replaced it with this new one. I could now open the video in a NEW project, but not in my old one. So I decided I'd try one more thing, and un- and re-installed Matroska/Haali and FFdshow, and (fingers x-ed!) I could now open the old project, and have video playing back properly - I could even save and re-open! There are quite a few options when installing FFdshow, and I had no clue what to actually make of them, but I did try to change some settings where it seemed remotely relevant.

What I did, though - and this could possibly be very important: I installed the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit one, which I had installed previously. No idea if and why this would matter, but, like I said: it worked last night; I'm just hoping this is the end of all the trouble.
Hi Sporkles,

Thank you for your post. I am going through the same thing. Near the end of you post you mention "I installed the the 32 bit version" Are you refering to live 9 or Matroska/Haali and FFdshow.

I am thinking I have to install 32bit max, 32 bit Live 9 and everything else 32bit on my Win 7 x64 machine to get it all to work.

Greatly appreciate your reply.

evilevilerevilest

Post by evilevilerevilest » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:20 am

Reinstall 32-bit arapaggregaters should do the tricks!
Last edited by evilevilerevilest on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Star power!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 am

Ah, sorry; I can see I could have been clearer on that! I kept Live in 64-bit, but installed the 32-bit version of ffdshow. I also "downgraded" Quicktime, as per the suggestion on Ableton's site, but I don't know if that part is still relevant; Windows 7 has been out for so long now, that I can't imagine whatever issues were there haven't been resolved by now.

Also, FYI: I removed every single Max for Live device I had in my set. Again, I still don't know exactly what made things work again, but at this point, I'm just going to stick with what I know to be working.

Hope that helps.

Bdumaguina

Post by Bdumaguina » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm

I understand this is an old thread. I just wanted to add.

I recently migrated from a 32 bit to a 64 bit. I'm now using Live 9, ver. 9.1.3, 64 bit. 32 bit projects with video opened fine in the 64 bit version. BUT the video would not play back. The video window mentions "could not decode video file". This solution worked for me.

1. Uninstalled all versions of Quicktime, Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow.

2. Installed the version of Quicktime found here FIRST.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/vid ... windows-7/

2. Then I installed the Haali Media Splitter and the ffdshow found here.
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... -playback/

After which, I was able to open up my 32 bit project in a 64 bit version of Live 9 with the video playing back successfully.

Hope this helps.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 pm

The problem has always been Quicktime format. I've had it not work in 64bit DAWs except Studio One.

AxfromMuc

Post by AxfromMuc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

my problem was that I installed the latest version of ffdshow. but this caused problems in Live. After installing the recommended v1.2.4422 it worked.

aaronbrownsound

Post by aaronbrownsound » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:03 am

Well, I appear to have figured it out.

Ableton appears to ONLY work with H.264 and .MP4 files.

I also tried .mov using Photo JPEG uncompressed audio and .AVI NTSC DV formats. These videos open in VLC and other apps, but not in Ableton anymore.

Then, I converted my exported video to .mp4 and it worked right away. So, perhaps it's just .mp4 files that work, or perhaps it is H.264 that work, but at least it's playing. Yeesh.

PERVIOUS STEPS FOLLOWED:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... windows-7/
Please install Quicktime 7.7.1 to fix the issue.
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... -playback/
A free solution, with good performance and a wide range of supported codecs and file formats (please install both components):

* Demuxer: Haali Media Splitter (also known as MatroskaSplitter, download directly)
* Codec: ffdshow 1.3.4531 (H.264, DV)

Bdumaguina

Post by Bdumaguina » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:03 pm

I kind of miss it when Live worked with .mov and photo-jpeg codecs. Playback was smooth despite the large video file size and crashes were seldom. Right now even with 64bit Live, a 6GB video card and 8GB of RAM, Live crashes more often even with a 480p, mp4, H.264 video :(