Female Rappers that DON'T Suck...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Female Rappers that DON'T Suck...

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 am

BaronVonAbelDong wrote:No competition:

http://youtu.be/1POru2g5mQU

http://youtu.be/l3O9pdFZxyQ

Runners up?

http://youtu.be/3JRZw-IhFbs
http://youtu.be/ilrRvJLkwzw

http://youtu.be/cpefvv2KL6U

That didn't help me feel any younger... :D
:D takin it back... in context... they're amazing...
...but i set the bar high at the onset of the thread.

first link is banned in the U.S.A. 8O

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 am

memes_33 wrote:+1 for rye rye. k flay is a bay area local that i dig - http://www.kflay.com/
i didn't look up rye rye yet... but k flay is pretty interesting. i'm gonna have a more in depth listen at her stuff.

thanks!

done for the night... i just kinda hopped around randomly to have a listen to some of candidates. interesting smorgasbord so far.

Masetrax

Post by Masetrax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 am

Rye Rye is a bit leave it.

Apani B Fly Emcee
Shortie No Mas (check out old De La Soul joints for her featuring)

scottie b

Post by scottie b » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:55 pm

please change name of thread
how can u have rye rye in a thread of best rappers
w names like lyte,bahamdia,jean grae,nicki minaj,etc
im sure they would b mad
not hating,but she's just not a rapper
shes an artist promoted by hipster press as being the face for bmore club,and when they abandoned that
she became her own artist.she's a very good artist..def doesnt suck
just not a "rapper"...
kinda things that happen when press dictates whats next

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:20 pm

i haven't even listened to rye rye yet to make any judgements good or bad... there are a lot of suggestions and i've been going through them, but i started the thread about female rappers, that was the purpose. so, i don't understand why the mention of someone who doesn't rap would warrant a name change... why should she dictate the name of this thread? are you with the press? :?

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:31 pm

scottie b wrote:please change name of thread
im sure they would b mad
shes an artist promoted by hipster press as being the face for bmore club,and when they abandoned that
just not a "rapper"...
scottie- what would you call her then- an mc? i'm sure you've worked with her in the past...
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm

i've come home during my lunch break to grab something from my palace... so to put this all in context, here is the track i was listening to that made me pose this question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggqAlcgcwMM

Lauryn's verse comes in around 3:30

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm

:lol:

i love how when she says her best friend has a mustache... and the chicks hand creeps up to cover it.

nice one. she's the truth!

:arrow:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:09 pm

For me defining how good someone is at rapping is synonymous to freestyling, because anyone can spend enough time to write something down to recite, and I don't know how good Lauryn is at freestyling, but I don't think I ever thought of her as "the best female rapper", though I was part of the camp in the 90's that got her solo album and played it a few times and had some favorites. She's too serious for my taste and too self-important. All I hear is "I've got skills and I'm important and everything that comes from me is Golden". I like when someone can comment on the world with a bit of panache and humor, not just "here's a list of all the bullshit that makes the world suck and I don't like it". I almost get the same sense of her like Oprah; more concerned about being seen as a God instead of just doing good for good, but I do think she wants to improve the place, but all I hear is bitching. Like, ooh, you tell it how it is, but so what, what are you going to do with it? Just bitch about it? Sorry, I've been wanting to rant about her (and Janelle Monae) for awhile. Just 2 people who seem that proving themselves to the world is the highest priority instead of actually improving the world.

Anyway, to play along for a minute, the first chick I thought of was Da Brat even though I'm not too schooled on her. Someone mentioned Rah Digga, though I haven't heard her since around Busta's E.L.E./her solo album.

What about Eve? I think a lot people missed this because it was on the Blade soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13mjitfDCNc

And what about Envy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hi-MJWxIOU

And since mentioning a list of every known female rapper is going ot be mentioned regardless, I'll give props to Ladybug Mecca.

But yeah, that video I posted above is, how can you really say who the best female rapper is; thousands of high school bitches all over the world could rip the best female rappers to shreds.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Oh SNAP!! I forgot all about Ladybug!!! She's better than any of em IMO!! runs circles even...

i do agree with you to some extent on Lauryn Hill... she really let me down with her racist comments back around the turn of the century... but she's got style and panache and while she may be just bitching to some extent... i'd rather hear that than a bunch of cloths and hos shit that you hear out of so many male rappers... at least i can agree with her.

in regard to her freestyle skills... i've never heard her freestyle either so i can't speak to that, but she does in the verse i posted - she rhymes about battling in the summer of 92.

Masetrax

Post by Masetrax » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:00 am

I would say most of the popular (chart successful) rappers, both male or female, could not freestyle to save their lives.

Hell, these days even battles aren't freestyled. It's all pre-written stuff.

But I digress. Forgot about mentioning Rah Digga. She was/is raw.

Poibles

Post by Poibles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Angel Haze

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 pm

I'll give props to Ladybug Mecca
+1

scottie b

Post by scottie b » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 am

memes_33 wrote:
scottie b wrote:please change name of thread
im sure they would b mad
just not a "rapper"...
scottie- what would you call her then- an mc? i'm sure you've worked with her in the past...
if mc lyte is an mc,and krs-1 is an mc,and biggie is an mc,and bahamadia is an mc
rye rye is not an mc
i wouldnt call M.I.A a rapper,or an mc..shes an artist
i call rye rye,an artist
i guess its based on perspective
but i dont see any of the bmore club vocal people as rappers, or mc's
except for dj class and labtekwon(410 pharaohs)..(these 2 were actually veterans of "traditional" definitions of rapper/mc
material}
that includes rod lee,jimmy jones,BLAQSTARR,etc
just because you do a vocal that rhymes but does carry tune,melody,note, etc
and while u may call in the midst of a conversation what one of them have done in a certain song,for lack of a better term,a rap
that doesnt make them a rapper or an mc(doesnt mainly ALL music rhyme?)
to me,that just makes u a artist that doesnt sing
in certain segments of society,its looked at differently a lot of times then the rest of the world
a singer is a person that cant rap or come across as genuine while attempting to
while the rest of the world looks at rappers as people who want a vocal music career w no talent or training in
traditional vocalizing and/or songwriting
like i said..its all in perspective
i dont know much about what Rye Rye has done lately,
but i wouldn't group it in what i would call "todays rappers"
basically, i and most people in my circles define MC'S as people whose rap songs are an effort of "the art of rapping" as it relates to the broader scope of "hip hop"(u can actually tell they sat down and wrote out lines and tried to do it in different ways)
while defining RAPPERS as those who rap songs are on effort of the result(like,lets figure out the quickest and easiest way to say this..and its usually something that is very front and center present to most people)
a lot of times(not all, but sometimes) you notice MC'S carry and actually have a artistic place and space for a DJ (notice the hip hop connection)where the RAPPER doesn't,if there is a DJ present, he mayb doing no more than cueing records on the instant replay machine(or whatever its called)
strangley i would call lmfao "rappers",but still not conceding rye rye or MIA is....they actually have full verses for songs..the latter 2 sometimes have hooks only if that will be enough
these discussions NEVER have an end or definite answer!!!LOL
i also have always said i am not a producer, im a DJ..i did a few tunes that were specifcally for DJ'S in my opinion
thats all i have the talent for
i could never compose music..i dont kno that much,im not that good
see,same thing kind of