Traktor kontrol z1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Traktor kontrol z1

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Have you seen that ?
I am wondering :
Is it a regular soundcard ? can you use it with ableton or max/MSP and route audio to the 2 channels, and use the faders and EQs ? or are the fader and EQs just controllers ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

SuburbanThug

Re: Traktor kontrol z1

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

I don't see why you couldn't route stuff. It's just a controller with a soundcard, right? I would buy this right away if it had a couple RCA inputs...

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 pm

I really like it. It looks awesome. But then, I'm a modular kinda guy. I already have an f1 and an x1 plus a Maschine. Wow, what an amzing set up that would be. I also have an S2 because I got on this whole manual mixing mindset for awhile. I decided I would manually beat-match and all that when I played live at shows so that's what I've been doing. It is fun and I enjoy the jog wheels but honestly I'm not really a mix 2 tracks kinda person. I like to remix and chop loops, use effects and record it into the loop recorder and then drop that into a remix deck, or grab pieces of tracks and create my own track live. Pretty much impossible w/o syncing.
Maybe I'll sell my s2 and get 1 or 2 z1's. Sounds fun to me.

That said, I wish it were an actual mixer w/ INPUTS! That would be a dream come true. Oh well, guess I should get a z2 for that, huh?

Boy I'm really turning into an NI fanboy over here. EVer since I got Maschine I haven'y even opened Live 9. I've been using 2 track decks, 1 remix deck and Maschine in Traktor and it's really too much fun! I ain't getting any tracks done!! Just jamming out all the time.

Oh well, it happens to the best of em' I guess!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 pm

Is Maschine and Traktor playing well together as far as sync and stability is concerned? Are you running low latency in Maschine?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I've been messing with Traktor on the iPad lately, so the built in cueing will likely be worth it for me. Shame it needs a PSU though. :(

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 pm

nowtime wrote:Is Maschine and Traktor playing well together as far as sync and stability is concerned? Are you running low latency in Maschine?
Yes, I'm using the IAC driver on my MAcbook Pro.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 pm

So forgive my stupid question (im not really into DJ stuff) but are they hardware EQs ? Or just pots supposed to be mapped to traktor's software EQs. Same question for the faders.

Winklepicker

Post by Winklepicker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Edited. Unsure about the information.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 pm

chapelier fou wrote:So forgive my stupid question (im not really into DJ stuff) but are they hardware EQs ? Or just pots supposed to be mapped to traktor's software EQs. Same question for the faders.
It uses internal mixing so I'm guessing its just encoders mapped (HID) to the soft-ware. When I first opened the e-mail I actually thought it was a hard-ware mixer w/ pots and inputs but sadly, it's just a MIDI controller w/ a soundcard.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Third on the inputs.

Phone and tablet sized devices are fucking amazing to me and I dream that something to the nature of Live, and all it's capabilities, will one day be available on those devices.

They would be truly beautiful instruments. Hell, they already are.

I love the idea of carrying a full fledged synth, drum machine, arranger, recorder, and dj app all in my pocket. I'm doing that right now. I'm just anxious for it to get more casual haha. And for the hardware that allows people to maximize the potential (quality audio inputs for iPhone are wayy pricy right now, which sucks because a lot of apps can take advantage of it).

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:02 am

Theo Void wrote:
nowtime wrote:Is Maschine and Traktor playing well together as far as sync and stability is concerned? Are you running low latency in Maschine?
Do you mean the virtual midi in out of Traktor and Maschine because you don't need to use the inbuilt OSX one.

It's pretty tight latency for me, when I get Maschine out

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 am

ekwipt wrote:
Theo Void wrote:
Do you mean the virtual midi in out of Traktor and Maschine because you don't need to use the inbuilt OSX one.

It's pretty tight latency for me, when I get Maschine out
No, I'm talking about the IAC bus in OSX.
I previously tried to use Traktor's MIDI sync w/ Maschine but it kept drifting really bad so I tried IAC and it seems to work much better.

Are you having luck w/ Traktor MIDI sync? If so, let me know what you're doing so I can implement it. IAC is kinda a PITA to set-up.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Theo Void wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:So forgive my stupid question (im not really into DJ stuff) but are they hardware EQs ? Or just pots supposed to be mapped to traktor's software EQs. Same question for the faders.
It uses internal mixing so I'm guessing its just encoders mapped (HID) to the soft-ware. When I first opened the e-mail I actually thought it was a hard-ware mixer w/ pots and inputs but sadly, it's just a MIDI controller w/ a soundcard.
Thanks... so it's not that useful for me...

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:12 am

Not quite there yet, but soon this will become viable enough so we’ll have vinyl DJs hating on CD DJs hating on laptop DJs hating on tablet DJs.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:05 am

beats me wrote:Not quite there yet, but soon this will become viable enough so we’ll have vinyl DJs hating on CD DJs hating on laptop DJs hating on tablet DJs.
LOL. I know. Can't wait til I get someone to hate on.
As a live re-mixer controller user I'm at the bottom of the hate chain :/