Maschine in Drum Racks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TekMonki

Maschine in Drum Racks?

Post by TekMonki » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:53 am

Hi, sorry if this is already posted and answered somewhere, but search here and in google isn't finding me the answer.

I recently got Push (so badass!) and have found that I can dump maschine into a drum rack, set receive to "all", and Group A is then step sequence-able from Push. Cool, cool! However, if I then want to use another soundset on Group B . . . I'm lost.

Thought maybe one external instrument per pad might work, similar to how you set up Maschine in Live with MIDI tracks and such, but then you're not able to utilize pads 1-16 it seems. At least not as they would be utilized in Maschine. E.g. you'd get the kick drum from A, but the note "C" from Pad2/Group B, another note "C" from Pad3/GroupC, etc.

Any ideas?

TekMonki

Re: Maschine in Drum Racks?

Post by TekMonki » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:05 pm

it's a production mystery, eh? :D

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I think the problem is that Live only uses Midi Channel 1 on output.
I could be wrong here, but both Live and Maschine have Midi limitations....

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 am

Hmmm, haven't had a chance to play with it much more since I last posted, but that's an experimental road to head down, thanks!

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm

After some (LOTS) of mucking about, here's what I've found - which not so coincidentally ties into using Maschine/Ableton together . . .

For what it's worth, I've set this as my default template in Live as well. Also, it's still in progress as I've found a few bugaboos I'd like to personally fix.

In Live:
  • Create 8 Midi Tracks, name them Maschine A, Maschine B, Maschine C, etc;, The letter is to reference the Maschine group.
  • Select all 8 tracks and group them. Name the group "Maschine".
  • Put Maschine on "Maschine A" and right click and "Group to Drum Rack". Name the drum rack "Maschine Rack"
  • Set Maschine receive in drum rack to All.
  • Add Ext Inst to B, C, D, Etc.
  • Set each Ext Inst as "MIDI To: Maschine A and then the associated Maschine output - for example doing this under Maschine B, the 2nd piece should read "2 - Maschine". Do the same for C (would be "midi to: Maschine A and 3 - Maschine), and D, and how many other Maschine groups you plan on using.
In Maschine:
  • Click on each group starting with B, click the Group button in Maschine and then the Out button. Set the Main out to the associated channel. E.g. B wold be 2, C would be 3, D would be 4, etc.
  • Next, while on the same group, right-click the first sound and go to "sound midi settings".
  • Click Enable and change the MIDI channel to the correct number Live needs. ex: Group B is Maschine B in Live, it's also track 2, so change the MIDI channel to "2".
  • If you want to add another drum kit to a Group other than A, let's use B as an example, right-click the Group in Maschine, click Sound MIDI Batch Setup, select Sounds to MIDI Notes and change the MIDI Channel. In this case, since it's B, and accounting for the above, you'd want to set the MIDI Channel to 2. If for some reason you just want to play the first pad of the Maschine kit/group as a scale, don't add a drum rack. If you want all of the pads to be addressed in Live though, (and note this is said with using Push in mind), right click your Ext Inst in B and "Group to Drum Rack". BOOM, new kit step-sequencable in Live/PUSH.
Last edited by TekMonki on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Figured out how to do multiple drum kits using Push, Maschine, and Live. Notes updated above (last item).

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 am

I can't wait to try this later!

supahd

Post by supahd » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 am

I gave this a shot and what I'm getting after loading a drumset into Group A in Maschine is the same sample triggered at different pitches.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Dave

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 pm

supahd wrote:I gave this a shot and what I'm getting after loading a drumset into Group A in Maschine is the same sample triggered at different pitches.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
Check your Sound MIDI Batch Setup and such in Maschine. That messes with my head still sometimes, but is typically the issue when things seem wonky. For me I just try all three options in there til I get what I'm after.

Disfigurine

Post by Disfigurine » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:51 am

TekMonki wrote:After some (LOTS) of mucking about, here's what I've found - which not so coincidentally ties into using Maschine/Ableton together . . .

For what it's worth, I've set this as my default template in Live as well. Also, it's still in progress as I've found a few bugaboos I'd like to personally fix.

In Live:
  • Create 8 Midi Tracks, name them Maschine A, Maschine B, Maschine C, etc;, The letter is to reference the Maschine group.
  • Select all 8 tracks and group them. Name the group "Maschine".
  • Put Maschine on "Maschine A" and right click and "Group to Drum Rack". Name the drum rack "Maschine Rack"
  • Set Maschine receive in drum rack to All.
  • Add Ext Inst to B, C, D, Etc.
  • Set each Ext Inst as "MIDI To: Maschine A and then the associated Maschine output - for example doing this under Maschine B, the 2nd piece should read "2 - Maschine". Do the same for C (would be "midi to: Maschine A and 3 - Maschine), and D, and how many other Maschine groups you plan on using.
In Maschine:
  • Click on each group starting with B, click the Group button in Maschine and then the Out button. Set the Main out to the associated channel. E.g. B wold be 2, C would be 3, D would be 4, etc.
  • Next, while on the same group, right-click the first sound and go to "sound midi settings".
  • Click Enable and change the MIDI channel to the correct number Live needs. ex: Group B is Maschine B in Live, it's also track 2, so change the MIDI channel to "2".
  • If you want to add another drum kit to a Group other than A, let's use B as an example, right-click the Group in Maschine, click Sound MIDI Batch Setup, select Sounds to MIDI Notes and change the MIDI Channel. In this case, since it's B, and accounting for the above, you'd want to set the MIDI Channel to 2. If for some reason you just want to play the first pad of the Maschine kit/group as a scale, don't add a drum rack. If you want all of the pads to be addressed in Live though, (and note this is said with using Push in mind), right click your Ext Inst in B and "Group to Drum Rack". BOOM, new kit step-sequencable in Live/PUSH.
Im not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but its not working. I have everything set up as you directed. the kits work in note mode, however as soon as i right click and convert to drum rack, it stops triggering maschine (yes ive set receive to ALL NOTES)

Can you possibly upload your template?

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 pm

If you check out the blend.io article, they have a link in there to a template they created based on all this. They're a little more detail oriented than me, so you'll probably have a better end result than whatever messy self-use template I could get you.

http://blog.blend.io/post/55204936732/s ... leton-push (blog post)

http://blend.io/project/51e734fc91c8b7246600002f (template)

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Is there a way to create one drum rack to control all 8 groups in Maschine?

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:30 pm

mercury007 wrote:Is there a way to create one drum rack to control all 8 groups in Maschine?
In Maschine set the 'midi group batch' settings for each group to midi ch. 1 and set the note range for each group to correspond with the notes covering all the drum rack cells.
With the Maschine vst placed inside the drum rack and set to 'all notes' you should then be able to trigger the different maschine groups depending what octave you are at in the drum rack.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 pm

that sounds great, has anyone already created a rack with this setup? are the encoders linked to maschine's encoders also?

HauntedGhost

Post by HauntedGhost » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 am

From new live set and with Maschine 2:

1. Add a Drum Rack to MIDI track

2. Drag "Machine 2" into "Drop Instrument or Sample here" in Drum Rack added in step 1.

3. In Drum Rack:
a. Show Chain List
b. Show Input/Output Section
c. Change the "receive" of the Maschine 2 chain to "all notes" ("all notes" is located at the top of the list)

4. In the Maschine plugin window, load your kit or whatever. (at this point hitting the pads on push will each play the same sample at a different pitch)

5. in Maschine plugin window:
a. Click the thingy in the picture.
b. Click on "group"
c. Click on "input"
d. Enable the "Active" switch

6. You did it! Great job :)